Chapter Thirteen

You can buy this book and other titles in the Prophecy Rock Series at Amazon, B&N, Kobo, Sony, iBooks, and Smashwords.  

13

“Soldiers! Your wait is over. Prince Aric brings us great tidings today!” General Arges surveyed his army, every eye fixated on him, hanging to his every word.

“Today… we march for battle!” A roar waved through the crowd, crescendoing in swells of joy. “And we march immediately, prepare yourselves! For our mission is to aid General Steropes at Lake Raphia. News is that he and General Yagar are deeply entrenched in their battle, neither side giving an edge. They need an extra push and what better regiment to do it than the Krakens!”

“Krakens!” the crowd voiced back in response.

“Time is of the essence, so we are to march in the most direct path to Lake Raphia… through the Dark Forest itself.”

A hush came over the crowd. What emotion had taken their words so suddenly from them, wondered Aric. Had fear sucked the fight out of them? General Arges also seemed to sense it as well. He needed to respond quickly before the fear became contagious.

“Who is the most feared battalion in all of Vicedonia?” shouted Arges.

“Krakens!” the army replied.

“Who?”

“Krakens!”

 “Who?”

“Krakens!”

“Yes, we are. If the Dark Forest brings us death, then we will smile back and tell him ‘not today, good friend.’” Arges pounded on his chest. The army responded in kind, and an undeniable energy reverberated through the group once again.

“We move!” ordered Arges.

The camp emptied quickly. Soldiers stood at the ready facing east into the foothills of the Dark Forest. Their efficiency was remarkable, a testament to the well-oiled machine of death they proclaimed to be. Arges stood at the vanguard with Aric beside him.

Arges bowed slightly. “At your command, your highness.”

Aric stared into the Dark Forest, trying to find some omen that would strengthen his resolve. But all he saw was black, darkness so deep that no trees, branches, or any other signs of life could be seen within. As if he was peering into the void of the world. It’s already too late to turn back now, he thought.

“Let’s go,” Aric whispered.

As the army funneled through the forest, the twisted gnarled tree trunks seemed to warp into monstrous faces of hate and anger, staring back at them, warning them to turn away before it was too late. A faint wisp of grey would reflect here and there, slightly illuminating the path before them. As the darkness began to dissipate and their eyes adjusted to their new environment, the Dark Forest seemed to come alive, little by little. Plants somehow grew in this place of death, growing into oddly misshapen forms.

The history of the Dark Forest did not make the march any easier. It was once the battleground of one of the greatest battles in the history of Eos. During the First Great War, this site was where the decisive battle between King Vicedon and Emperor Renza had taken place. Never had the two kings met on the battlefield before. Their respective armies had battled their ways across the land, conquering other civilizations and expanding their powerful empires. It was only a matter of time before the two great armies collided, and it was here at the Dark Forest where it finally happened.

Amassed between the two armies were over six hundred thousand troops, ready to defend their kings to their dying breaths. There was no forest here before, just a plain, open field of grass. After the battle, all six hundred thousand troops had been killed, soaking the ground red with their blood. The two kings were the last two to remain. They battled for three consecutive days, their power and stamina well beyond those of regular men, which made them so well suited to be kings. But even so, they were still human, and after the third day, exhaustion set in. On the final day, Emperor Renza caught King Vicedon with a fatal blow, driving Lightstorm straight through his heart and burning him up from inside out. But it wasn’t a complete victory. So weakened by the battle was Emperor Renza, that he collapsed to the ground shortly after, never to awaken again.