Chapter Forty Six

You can download this book and other titles in the Prophecy Rock Series at Amazon, B&N, Kobo, Sony, iBooks, and Smashwords.

46

“Right down the center.”

Raden stared at General Sako. The plan seemed too direct and simplistic even for a force of their size, but Sako’s eyes made even Raden shudder. She was the youngest of the three generals in the Renzai army, but quite possibly the most intimidating. She was tall, towering over most men. Her long white hair highlighted by a single dark strip across her bangs accentuated her hauntingly colored eyes. Her pupils appeared perpetually dilated, the black irises covering up most of the sclera. Staring into them was akin to staring into a void. Raden tried to refocus on the conversation at hand.

“That would be the most direct path, but extremely high risk. Our army vastly outnumbers the Vicedonians, but they still maintain the better position in this attack.”

“You possess the power of the One and yet you quibble about tactics? We will drive down the center of the Issus Valley, raze the Vicedonian colony of Alesiuss, and drive out the armies at Sargatum. General Yagar is returning to his army east of Lake Raphia. They’ve been in position there since the retreat. Ten thousand additional soldiers are being sent with him, but we need to preoccupy the forces at Sargatum so the enemy won’t notice any troop movement. Once Yagar arrives with his additional troops, he will take back Lake Raphia. By the end of this offensive, we will have control of both Lake Raphia and Sargatum, two of the three vital points in the Disputed Lands.”

Her logic made more sense than Raden cared to admit. Raden had no reason to fear these Vicedonian armies any longer. Word from headquarters was that Prince Xander had taken control of Lake Raphia. Yagar would undoubtedly break their lines and overtake them with his fresh troops. There was nothing to be afraid of now. He nodded his head in agreement. It was time to march.

The Renzai army made its way from the outermost edges of the Renzai Empire, marching from the border city of Tayo by the River Fate to the peaceful fishing village of Muye. The army marched by silently, but the ground shook beneath the weight of their might. Villagers gazed at them in awe, a young boy hid behind his father, peeking out to catch a glimpse of the Renzai army. Raden stared at them both, smiling and nodding gently. They gazed back intently.

“Father, isn’t that—”

“Shhh… stay quiet, son.” They watched as Raden disappeared into the front of the vanguard.

 Another week’s time had passed and now they found themselves at the edges of the Issus Valley. Dusk had begun to settle in, and Raden could see off in the distance Vicedonian villagers tilling their lands, collecting crops, and going about their daily lives. A feeling of déjà vu struck him unexpectedly.

Sako could see the hesitation in Raden’s eyes. “We do not have time to save every person. They live in a time of war; that is how it is.”

“I will not have innocent blood spilled by my hands, General Sako. There’s always another way.”

Sako did not like waiting, but begrudgingly complied. Without Raden on board, this offensive was doomed for failure. The army descended into the Issus Valley, marching down the center, straight towards Sargatum off in the distance. The Vicedonian guards positioned in the defensive turrets could not believe their eyes. An endless stream of soldiers continued to flood the valley. The Vicedonian guards scampered to their battle positions. Arrows volleyed out from the turret towers. Catapults launched massive boulders doused in oil and set aflame. The bombardment of lethal objects filled up the evening sky.

Raden closed his eyes, slowed down his heart rate, and drew in slow and sustained breaths. He clasped his left hand over his right, moving them slowly in a counter-clockwise motion. A spark ignited between his hands; he could feel the heat emanating from it. The faster his hands moved, the larger the spark grew before it exploded, completely engulfing his forearms. He opened his eyes and unleashed a cloud of fire into the sky. Every arrow incinerated away. The flaming boulders shattered apart, scattering debris across the valley. Nothing but dust landed amongst the Renzai army.