Chapter Twenty

You can download this book and other titles in the Prophecy Rock Series at Amazon, B&N, Kobo, Sony, iBooks, and Smashwords.  

20

Izik’s hands were not bound this time. As they continued the march for the second day, Captain Titan had ordered him untied. His face had become grossly pale. And in contrast to the muted greys and blacks of the Dark Forest, his face appeared that much more ghostly. His eyes were red and irritated, and he was having trouble seeing clearly. He had not rested at all for the past two days. Sleep was what he needed, but sleep was where the nightmares awaited him. No, he would not go back to that place again. That place where every fear, every insecurity he had ever had in his life manifested themselves into a reality far worse than death. At least death offered an escape, finality to his suffering, but time was absent in his nightmares. There was only one moment to exist in, and that moment consisted of pain.

 Izik rubbed his eyes, trying to clear his vision, but everywhere he looked he began to see double. Images moved in and out of focus, doubling and tripling at times. The rhythmic gait of his horse offered no refuge to his despair, but only served to induce nausea as another ailment he needed to deal with. 

 Titan watched him from afar, keeping a vigilant eye to see what would become of him. His sharp decline in both physical and mental health assured Titan that he was no threat at all. If anything, Izik was not going to make it out of the Dark Forest and they’d have to bury him soon. Titan pitied Izik more than anything. If he had only stayed back at the capital he would not be here suffering. It was only for Prince Aric’s egotistical fulfillment that he and the Royal Guards had come, and to die for that reason alone was simply shameful.

 It is tiiiiime, whispered a haunting voice into Izik’s ear. He tried to block it out, but his strength was gone. He could no longer fight the Dark Forest. Whatever it wanted from him, it was about to receive. He relented all will and emotion, giving into the shroud that weighed on him. He softly groaned. The soldiers in front of him turned around at the noise. They stared at him, his eyes bloodshot. He was blinking slowly; his eyelids growing heavy.

 “He looks like he’s about to pass out. It’ll do him some good though, he looks like a freakish vampire.” The soldiers laughed at the quip.

Again, Izik groaned.

The soldiers turned around once more. Izik had his eyes closed this time, and his body slowly collapsed forward onto his horse.

“Goodnight, Captain Izik,” the soldier with the rat face said.

“We’ll wake you when the battle’s over at Lake Raphia,” chuckled the other soldier. 

 Suddenly, the soldier with the rat face found himself staring down at his chest. A hand was sticking through him, breaching multiple layers of his armor and torso. He stared at it in disbelief. His head slowly turned away from the hand, and back behind him to see Izik’s mouth wide open, closing in on his neck.

“Aaaaaaaaaarrrghhh!” he cried out.

As his body fell from his horse, the other soldier reached for his sword and swung at Izik, but Izik was too quick. He leapt off his mount and over the soldier’s blade. The soldier swung again, anticipating where he would land, but he never did. I’m going crazy, thought the soldier. He looked up and saw nothing but the thick boughs of branches overhead. His eyes darted back and forth trying to find some movement.

“Captain Izik’s been possessed!” he cried out. “He’s up in the trees!”

The group of soldiers ahead of him drew their weapons and began to scan the canopy. A branch cracked to the left, and all of the soldiers turned their heads that direction. Izik leapt down, grabbing one of the soldiers and pulled him back up into the darkness above. A scream cried out from within the leaves. The soldier’s carcass flew down from the trees, colliding with another soldier and knocking him off his horse.

The group of soldiers let loose their arrows into the thicket above, hoping their barrage would catch Izik. The arrows lodged themselves deep into the trees. But alas, there was no cry of pain. They paused for a moment, unsure of what they were waiting for. That’s when three arrows came darting back out, striking three soldiers in the neck.

By this time, Titan had caught news halfway up the vanguard and had made his way down. He was aghast at what he saw. Five soldiers already dead. Three with arrows in their necks; two unidentifiable.

“Where is he?” Titan demanded.

“Up… hiding in the trees!” the soldiers answered.

“Come down here and fight, you coward!” yelled Titan. 

An arrow flew out of the sky, but Titan was able to deflect it. Izik leapt towards him, arms extended and fangs ready to rip him apart. Titan swung his hammer, sending Izik colliding into a nearby tree. His body broke against the trunk, leaving his torso completely contorted. With his body mangled, Izik dropped to all four limbs, his movements now resembling a spider.

“Where is Captain Izik?” a voice called out.

The soldiers turned to see Prince Aric and his Royal Guards making their way towards the scene.

“Get the prince out of here!” ordered Titan. “Captain Izik has already killed five soldiers, we don’t need a dead prince to add to the count!”

Aric stared at what had become of the captain of his Royal Guards. He couldn’t believe his eyes. The demented creature before him didn’t resemble Izik at all. Izik’s head twisted around completely before settling into place, the sound of bones popping and grinding unnaturally against themselves sending a cold shiver down Aric’s back. Izik’s eyes locked onto Aric.

“Youuu!” cried out Izik. “It’s allll your fault!” He leapt up into the air, grabbed a hold of a branch and propelled himself down towards Aric.

Aric froze. Unsure of what he should do. Never had his life been in danger as it was at that moment. The final thoughts that ran through his mind were not of his life’s regrets. How he would never become a great king and lead his people to victory over the Renzai. How he would never earn the respect and adoration of those he held dearest. No, the final thought that went through Aric’s mind was fear. He watched as Izik flew through the air, hands aimed at his throat, ready to choke the last breath out of his body. Is this it? he wondered.

Survival instinct kicked in. Aric grabbed a hold of the nearest Royal Guard and pushed him towards Izik. “Protect me!” he commanded.

Izik’s outstretched hands were rapidly drawing closer. The soldier tried to raise his sword and shield, but he was too slow. Izik’s icy fingers were now only mere inches away. The loud sound of metal crashing against armor suddenly caught everyone off guard. The Royal Guard went tumbling out of the way, and in his place stood General Arges.

Izik landed atop of Arges, his hands trying to wrap around the general’s neck. Arges gripped Izik’s forearms tightly, just able to halt the deathly advance. Krakens moved in to save their general, but Arges called them off immediately.

“Stay back! He’s already killed some of us. I won’t lose any more of you to this demon!”

Krakens twitched restlessly, wanting desperately to help their leader, but unable to do so.

Izik’s unnatural strength began to overpower Arges’ resistance, his fingertips scratching and clawing at Arges’ neck. “Diiieee!” hissed Izik.

Arges placed his foot against Izik’s chest and kicked him backwards. A blinding flash of light cut through the air, followed by a shrill scream that echoed throughout the forest.

General Arges stood victorious, holding his twin falcatas in each hand. Captain Izik’s body split apart, laid in two pieces. The legs landed by Titan, and the torso landed at Aric’s feet.

Arges turned towards Aric. “I warned you what fear can do to a person. Now burn his body, we need to keep moving.”

###

I will post one chapter each Saturday (there are 50 chapters in all). If you just can’t wait, you can download the complete book and other titles in the Prophecy Rock Series at Amazon, B&N, Kobo, Sony, iBooks, and Smashwords.

You can also follow me on Twitter, or like my Facebook page. For more information, see my website www.tsaelow.com Your support is appreciated. Thanks for reading!