Chapter Fifteen

You can buy this book and other titles in the Prophecy Rock Series at Amazon, B&N, Kobo, Sony, iBooks, and Smashwords.

15

Ten minutes to noon. Kara was the first one back to the rendezvous point in the city center.

“Any luck?” A voice spoke to her from behind the fountain where she was sitting.

“A little bit of everything, and a whole lot of nothing, Raden.”

Raden sat down next to her, drew his flask of water, and opened it. He offered it to Kara first. She took it from him and drank down a refreshing swig. The weather was sweltering, and the cold water cooled her throat immediately. “Thanks,” she said.

It wasn’t like Kara to thank people, especially other soldiers. She was raised the daughter of General Yagar, a living legend, a hero of the Great Second War. His only child, she was determined from an early age to not disappoint her father. He never stated that he had hoped for a son, but she could tell he did. Rather than use it as fuel for self-pity, Kara determined she was going to outdo any other soldier in her class. She wanted to join General Sako as only the second female general ever in the empire. She received top marks in all her classes at the academy. After entrance into the military, she rose quickly through the ranks of the Lion Tribe’s intelligence division, outperforming many of her male counterparts. Becoming general was something she was well on the path to accomplishing. Perhaps someday, she would continue her father’s legacy as a great leader for the Renzai people.

Raden was only a couple years older than her. He had befriended her while in elementary school, offering her kindness while the other students spurned her for her unique appearance. She gravitated towards him instantly, subconsciously feeling a connection with another shunned soul. As their friendship grew through the years, her feelings for him grew as well. Physically they had both matured into attractive individuals, but it wasn’t pure looks alone. She saw something deeper in Raden. His devotion to the empire was admirable, similar to hers. More so, though, it was the way Raden cared for his little sister Kimi, reminding her so much of how her father, General Yagar had always taken care of her. Raden was different than other guys, and for that reason he held a special place in her heart.

“So what did you find out in the religious district?” asked Raden.

“Aside from trying to be convinced of the veracity of each religious sect, I heard there were groups of Gokstads, Pilgrims of Fate, and other Vicedonian colonist armies making their way through the town; none of them staying for long though, a couple nights here and there before they continued eastwards.”

“No rumors about a Candidate?” asked Raden.

“Every time I brought up the word Candidate, all I got was a history lesson about how he’d come to save the world, and that I needed to pray right away.”

Raden smirked. “Well I didn’t get much either. Restaurant Alley is filled with nothing but degenerates and thieves. I lost count of how many times drunkards tried to steal my gold. Drunken ramblings ranged from the end of the world to who dropped the longer turd.”

Kara raised her eyebrow. “Longer turd?”

“I can’t even make this stuff up.” They both chuckled at the notion. “Maybe this town is a dead end,” mused Raden.

“I wouldn’t say that.”

They both turned around to see Gama walking towards them with two giant bags of what appeared to be blackened bananas.

“Why the hell do you have rotten bananas, Gama?” asked Kara indignantly. “You were supposed to find information, not go on a grocery run.”

“It’s a long story, but anyways, I got a lead.” Kara and Raden’s ears perked up.