Chapter Ten

You can buy this book and other titles in the Prophecy Rock Series at Amazon, B&N, Kobo, Sony, iBooks, and Smashwords.

10

“Do we follow them, Rad?” asked Gama.

“I didn’t think we’d need to use our weapons on the first day of our mission, but we need to know why Gokstads are almost at the edge the River Fate. Which direction did they go, Gama?” asked Raden.

He could see the trail of footprints disappearing off into the tall grass bearing north. “That way, and it looks like about five different sets of footprints.” 

Raden studied the prints. “Watch your backs. Let’s move.”

They followed the trail until it disappeared into the side of a small hill, surrounded by a thicket of white oaks. The remains of another fire were evident, but the prints seemed to stop altogether.

“I can’t find where they went from here,” said Gama. “Either they covered their tracks expertly, or they’re still—”

Whoosh! An axe came flying out of the bushes, aimed at Kara’s head. She managed to catch it out of the corner of her eye and blocked it out of the air with her sword. Another axe flew through the air and ricocheted off of Gama’s shield.

“They’re still here!” yelled Gama.

That’s when two Gokstads revealed themselves at the top of the hill, about fifteen feet above them; they leapt down and knocked Raden and Kara off of their horses. Armed with axes and shields with the Gokstad Valknut emblazoned on it, they were gigantic men with the apparent strength to prove it. The one with the yellow ponytail swung his axe with such force that when Raden managed to deflect the blow he still backpedaled ten feet. This wasn’t a fight he could win based on pure strength alone. Panic began to settle in. How am I going to survive this battle? he thought.

The other giant had a massive orange beard pony-tailed at the bottom and wielded a large axe. He swung, left and right, raining blows down upon Kara from every direction in a blitzkrieg of bloodlust. Kara knew her quickness was her salvation and had deftly dodged every blow thus far. But how long could she keep it up?

Gama found himself squaring off against two Gokstads, smaller than the other two behemoths, but he was still at a distinct disadvantage. He was still mounted on his horse when he charged directly into one, knocking the Gokstad to the ground while Gama swung his broadsword into the other, cracking the enemy’s helmet in two.

That’s when the third Gokstad leaped out of a nearby tree, catching Gama from behind. With his axe wrapped around Gama’s neck, he pressed the shaft tightly against Gama’s throat, choking the life out of him. This one was strong, and Gama couldn’t do anything offensive while the enemy was behind him. He was running out of air when he shifted his weight, and threw himself off his mount, sending both of them crashing hard into the ground with a loud thud.

The fall had succeeded, and Gama inhaled a fresh breath of sweet-tasting life. It was short lived though, as the other two Gokstads had regained their faculties and charged. They piled atop of him, raining punches and kicks into every part of his body. The world went black for a second, blows to his face and body kept knocking the wind out of him, but finally he managed to call out for help. “Ripper!”

The two smaller Gokstads instantly disappeared into a heap of flesh and guts. The remaining one, who had managed to choke Gama before, didn’t last much longer. His body bifurcated so quickly that he didn’t even manage to let out a scream. 

“Thanks, Oli, I would’ve been dead without you.” He patted her on the head. “Good girl.”

Oli stood there, transformed at a moments notice from a seven-pound pup to a three hundred pound beast. Razor-sharp teeth and claws, her body scarred from previous battles, Oli was a changeling. One of a few remaining changelings in the empire, and evidence that the One’s magic still remained strong in the world.