Chapter One

You can buy this book and other titles in the Prophecy Rock Series at Amazon, B&N, Kobo, Sony, iBooks, and Smashwords.

…The flames of absolution will purify the lost, engulfed by the One into the void of nothingness, so they may return to this world spiritually rekindled. Once prepared, Her heavenly offspring will descend from her side, to transform unto the world the paradise that is Renzai, and lead the empire to its final destiny…

-A passage from the Renzai interpretation of Prophecy Rock

1

As Octavius stood above the cliff’s edge, peering down at Carhay, he could not imagine a more blissful city. Carhay was situated on the edge of the River Fate, between the looming Gemini Mountains. On the northern side of the city sat the Onyx Waterfall, cascading into a pool of shimmering turquoise below, so clear Octavius could see the rainbow colored fish swimming about from where he stood. On the southern edge roared the Kalandes Waterfall, crashing below onto the most exquisite temple Octavius had ever seen; three stories tall with a sunburst emblazoned upon its entrance. It was painted in various shades of red, white, and gold. The temple’s peaked roof split the rolling water into two separate streams as it roared down upon it. Octavius could see villagers, dressed in simple robes of white and crimson, moving about the temple grounds, crossing the intricately designed wooden bridge that served as the temple’s entrance. Both waterfalls connected into a glistening river below that snaked through the center of the small village. Heaven on Eos, Octavius thought. It’s a shame that it needs to be burned to the ground.

Carhay sat on the southern edge of the Disputed Lands. For centuries, war had been waged upon these grounds without a victor being crowned. Geographically, the area was nigh-impossible to navigate. The territories in the north of the Disputed Lands were more populated, where grassy valleys and thick forests covered the land, but the South told a different story. Jagged peaks covered a majority of the landscape, with icy ledges and a wind so cold it stabbed the heart of you when the faintest breeze whispered by. The roads—if you were to call them roads, as they were more akin to a sea of shattered daggers—were riddled with the bones and carcasses of people who had braved the journey, but only succeeded in meeting the One earlier than they had anticipated. 

In the midst of a land that resembled more so death than life sat the city of Carhay; a blossoming rose found on the outskirts of existence. Just above the foothills, the city had been uniquely isolated from the rest of the world. Shrouded by low hanging clouds, Carhay was a mythical city realized. Unfortunately, passage through the city was the most direct route for the Vicedonian Kingdom. Any attempt to circumnavigate the Gemini Mountains would delay the planned military offensive by days they could ill afford to lose. Octavius’ intuition told him that his army could easily proceed through the city without incident. The villagers did not seem to be of a warlike nature; no soldiers could be seen, nor weapons of any kind either. But since the king had decreed that Carhay was to be burnt to the ground, Octavius knew what had to be done.

Octavius took one final look at the city, closed his eyes, and bowed his head as if to offer one final prayer to the people below. He raised his arm, and at the moment he waved it forward, the deafening roar of the army echoed across the valley, and the trembling ground beneath its feet shook the mountains into submission. The bright sunlit sky darkened as arrows and boulders soared without restraint, violently finding their targets below. Villagers ran for shelter, but there was limited protection to be found. The shrill cries of the villagers could be heard from high above where Octavius still stood. Honor. Duty. Kingdom; was the sole thought that ran through his mind now. Once ordered, the assault could not be taken back. It was for the greater good and prosperity of the kingdom that such a sacrifice had to be made. Such sacrifices were necessary.