Chapter 4 New Discoveries

It is a few minutes from eight and I should head to the dining room but I am not hungry.

I had changed into another off the shoulder top to show off my birth mark and a cute skirt.

Instead of going to dinner I open my window and swing my legs out. It's a big window with a cool shelf so swinging my legs out wasn't weird. I sigh and stare at the setting sun. I let a few tears fall but then promise myself I won't cry over this whole situation again.

"Hey I realized you don't know where the dining room is I thought I would walk you," Charles offers and opens the door. I jumped in surprise and shock. Suddenly I'm falling. I scream in panic.

My room is on the top floor so the fall will do a lot of damage.

In my state of panic I hadn't realized something caught me. Make that two something's two wings sprouting from my back. I gasp softy and stare, they are beautiful. The weird wing birth mark on my back like Angels suddenly made sense.

"Oh my god Rienna,"Charles yells and I see him looking out the window looking scared.

"Hey Charles how's it going?" I ask, flap my wings, and hover outside my window eye level with Charles.

"Oh wow you have wings," he gapes in surprise.

"I know right I didn't even know but those birth marks on my back unfolded to wings," I explain and spin around.

"Well now it's time for dinner, want me to walk you?" Charles asks. I nod and fly back in the window.

"Can I fly down?" I hover off the ground a little.

"Yeah come on," Charles replies and grins at me. He takes my hand and gently leads me through corridors and down stairs.

"This place is huge," I gawk.

"Yeah it is I guess easy to get lost."

We eventually make it too the dining room and everyone's eyes bug out.

"Hi guys," I greet with a wave and sheepish smile. I lower myself to the ground and let my wings fold back into my skin.

"You just keep surprising us," Erik observes with a raised eyebrow.

"Yeah I think that's it though so don't worry," I say with a blush and sit down. "So what happened while I was off in dream land?" I ask and start eating.

"We started training you will start tomorrow," Charles answers.

"Question how am I going to train my telepathy, flying, screaming, fire, ice, appearance changing, charm speaking, and that weird red explosion thing all at once?" I inquire and tilt my head.

"First we master controlling your emotions then you will be in total control of everything else," Charles explains. My stomach drops and that piece of information. I have zero control over my emotions.

"Oh great," I mutter under my breath. I just notice Moira is staying here and joined us for dinner.

"Moira come sit here," Charles invites patting the seat next to him and lights up like a Christmas tree. That hurts a lot. I don't have to read their minds to know they liked eachother.

"Scuse me I'm not hungry," I say and get up. I storm out blinking back tears. Charles didn't try to read my mind if he did I would know and be able to block him out.

~~~

I stalk through the halls desperately trying to find my room. I am lost.

"Well crap," I utter. I guess I could just find somebody who could tell me. I close my eyes and expand my mind until I see what everyone is thinking.

Alex is in the kitchen eating ice cream feeling guilty about Darwin. Raven is talking with Hank in the lab. Sean is talking with Charles. Charles is thinking about Moira. That stabs me in the heart. Moira is thinking about Charles. Erik is reading.

I sigh deeply and realize I have stupidly fallen for Charles.

So I do the only thing I can.

I go to the kitchen and join Alex with the ice cream.

"Hey," I say, stroll in, and sit across from Alex at a table.

"Hey," Alex says simply.

"Care to spare some?" I ask while grabbing a spoon and a bowl.

"Sure." Alex hand me the container and I scoop myself some,

"Ice cream always helps sadness go away," I remark and dig in.

"Yeah it does?" Alex agrees with a sad frown.

"What are you sad about?" I inquire even though I already know.

"I could lie to you but you read minds so that wouldn't be smart. I was thinking about Darwin," Alex replies and starts blinking as if trying to hold back tears.

"You can cry Alex that's okay we are all sad," I soothe and pat his arm.

"Yeah but I can't help thinking it's my fault I mean it was my energy that killed him," Alex responds and gives a frustrated sigh.

"It wasn't your fault your were trying to protect us. It was Shaw's fault," I explain.

"Yeah everyone has been saying that but I don't believe them my power is uncontrollable," Alex grumbles and lets a few tears fall.

"No it's not you will learn to control it I promise and if you don't I'll owe you 20 bucks," I joke trying to lighten the mood.

"Thanks Rienna and you'll learn to control your powers too." Alex smiles at me and I grin back.

"Thanks." I shovel more ice cream in my mouth and drown my sorrows.

"So what are you sad about?" Alex questions and I nearly choke on my ice cream.

"Its a stupid girly thing," I replies and wave it off.

"Well I told you my problem and you fixed it I should only return the favor." Alex smirks and gives my arm a playful shove.

"One sec I'm gonna make sure no one is listening." I quickly sweep the area for any minds. "Alright no one is close I'll spill but if you tell any one I will freeze you, melt you, and make you do unimaginable things got it?" I threaten. Alex slowly nods a look of fear in his eyes. "Well you see I have a silly crush on this guy, not you, and he likes some one else and only seems to notice me when I'm hurt or about to blow something up," I spill.

"Alright first of all name please, second of all if he can't realise how awesome you are he doesn't deserve you. I mean your super caring friendly and somehow even though you have probably been through hell you manage to smile every day," Alex exclaims and it warms my heart.

"Thanks Alex I have and your right. But if I tell you I'll have to teach you to put a mind barrier up so Charles won't see," I explain.

"Oh it's him isn't it," Alex guesses. I smile and sheepishly nod. "Alright teach me," Alex says.

~~~

I spend all night teaching him how to lock his mind. When he finally gets it we both go to sleep.

I like Alex, he is like the older brother I never had and always wanted.

I go to sleep even though I hate it. When I sleep I see everyone's thoughts.

Once again Charles is thinking of Moira. Moira is thinking of Charles. Alex is peacefully thinking of Sean? Sean is also thinking of Alex? Don't know what's going on there. Erik is thinking of super creative ways to kill my dad. Hank is thinking of his cure. Raven is thinking of Erik and Hank.

Okay lots of confusing thoughts, now you see why I don't like sleeping.

My own thoughts are scattered. I have fallen for Charles fallen hard but he hasn't fallen for me. My life sucks big time.