Chapter 2

"I guess this is as good as it's gonna get." I mumble, trying but failing to fluff up my hair a bit before leaving for work. It was kind of a lost cause anyway since my hair was to my shoulders and just fell in weird waves. I have to admit I loved the way it looked in a braid but I was always too lazy. I always saw myself as alright. I never thought I was absolutely stunning or devastatingly ugly, I don't understand how some girls think that their either of those though, it's quite impossible. I'm pretty average to be honest. I had quite a slim nose that was rounded at the end which bothered me sometimes and boring hazel brown eyes eyes. But besides those things I have to say I'm pretty normal looking I guess.

Stepping into the diner, I mentally prepared myself for the graveyard shift that I would have to endure tonight. It was the worst shift ever but it payed the most because you'd get drunk people leaving twenties for tips and it was the longest amount of hours you could get at once.

Plastering a smile onto my face, I tied my apron in half around my waist while walking to the back to greet Steven. He was a thirty-seven year old burnout who'se had the cook position filled for half of his life. After giving up on high school, I guess he just settled on the diner. I would hate to grow up and have no future, I suppose that's my biggest fear.

Spotting a couple walk in, I walk over to their booth to greet them.

"Hi how're you both tonight?" I ask, smiling sweetly.

"Oh um, we're fine thanks. Two cokes and two burger specials." The man says, handing me the menu without bothering to look at me.

"Fine, I'll get on it." I say, hiding my annoyance. The pretty redhead looks up at me and apologetically smiles. I nod.

"Two burger specials. Make them really well done for this guy." I say to Steven, grabbing two cups and filling them to the brim with ice.

"That bad, huh?" He asks, working over the grill.

"So rude! It's gonna be a long night" I sigh, bringing over the drinks.

"Thank you" the girl smiles, starting to unwrap her straw, "you go to our school right?" she asks innocently.

"Um, yeah I think you're in lab bio with me." I agree, recalling the fiery hair from my hazy memory.

At this time the strange boy decides to look up and I notice the chocolatey brown eyes. Peter Fields. The most attractive boy in our school, sadly his personality contradicts his looks on a whole new level. At least my eyes can enjoy a nice view tonight.

While he decides to say nothing, I just nod and continue back to the kitchen.

"Here ya go Finnegan, two extra well done burgers with extra onions." Steven jokes, handing me the burgers. I know he didn't comply with my outrageous wishes since he knows about my killer temper, but my guilt always overrides my previous decisions. He's learned by now after having me request new meals way too many times due to my conscious.

"Here you guys go. Let me know if you need anything." I say, setting down the plates in front of them.

"You put too much ice in the glass." Peter states, pointing to both sodas. 'Wow the beast has a voice' I chuckle to myself.

"Sorry about that, I'll get you new ones." I sigh, picking up both cups and walking back behind the counter, over-dramatically pouring out both cups, filling them half way with ice, and refilling them with soda. Walking back over, I feel an extra spring in my step for being so sassy, well sassy for me at least.

I set the sodas down without a word and go help the next set of customers.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Ya made it through kid, go get some sleep you're going to need it for tomorrow." Steven announced, pointing to the clock above my head that read 3:15

"Yeah, I'm never doing this before an exam again." I smirk sarcastically, slipping on my coat.

"thats what you said last time" he smiles, going back to the kitchen to gather his belongings, "ya need a ride?" he offers, stepping out.

"yeah thanks Stevey" I smile, closing the front door to the diner and locking it behind me.

After Steven dropped me off at my house, it was go time. I had three hours until I needed to be up and approximately two hours of homework. "its okay, I can do this. I'll just grab one of those energy drinks on my way to school tomorrow." I conclude, tying my hair up and getting into my homework along with James' essay.

Waking up the next morning was not an easy task. Thankfully, the cold water hitting my skin in the shower woke me up enough to get going. After slipping on another plain tee-shirt and jeans with my trusty old vans, I started my way to school with enough time to stop for an energy drink.

Who knew those things tasted so bad? I finished it though so I would make it through the day without a psychotic break.

Finally the bell rang after second block and it was time for lunch, I was flipping starving.