Flicker

***

Hi guys!

This is sort of a prologue to the story, so just let me know what you think and if I should continue! Thanks so much for reading and I hope you enjoy!

To the side is a picture of Tessa >>>>

Xoxoxo

"People often believed they were safer in the light, thinking monsters only came out at night."

-C.J. Roberts

*****

It started with a thud. Not the usual creaking of the floorboards, or tree branch rustling against a window, there was a loud thud followed by a shattering of glass. But I had grown used to sounds like that. It's something you just become immune to when your family constantly breaks coffee mugs with their bare hands, because they can't "control themselves". I brushed my blonde tangled mess of hair out of my eyes, as I readjusted my pillow, and promptly shoved my face into it in order to block out the noises.

Maybe I should of been just a bit suspcious about all the noise coming from downstairs. But due to my lack of sleep from binge watching shows on Netflix, I didn't even bother to check it out. I stretched out my body, squeezing the pillow tightly in my hands to block out the sounds. "Shut up." I muttered under my breath, yanking on my covers. It was problably just some guys from the pack messing around, the usual, since they all liked to hang around our house. A loud roar of laughter echoed through the house. I rolled my eyes in annoyance, why were they still here? Didn't they ever go home? "Goddamn werewolves." I murmered to myself. There was no way I was going to be well-rested enough for my Sociology exam tomorrow. And no teacher is going to believe my excuse.

The house went silent. No more loud laughter from downstairs, or the breaking of glass, just complete and utter silence. I sprang forward. Something was wrong. I slid my leg out from under my covers and hopped onto my carpet. In all my years growing up in this house, there has never been a single quiet moment. With my Dad being the Alpha, and my brother Aiden as next in line, his friends were constantly sleeping over. Aiden's only two years older than me but that doesn't stop him from treating me like I'm two. As if having an overbearing older brother wasn't enough, he doesn't waste a moment to show off his claws whenever someone from school shows even the slightest interest in me. The last time a boy tried to ask me to Homecoming Aiden and a couple guys from the pack hung him upside down from his underwear in the middle of the cafeteria.

My brother sort of has a problem with pranking. Sure, he won't let a boy come within five inches of me, but he'd gladly let the guys from the pack steal all my bras and throw them onto the roof. I could feel my hairs rise on the back of my neck as I walked towards my bedroom door, which was bolted shut as usual. I learned the hard way about the consequences that come with leaving my door unlocked at night. One of which include Aiden covering my bed sheets in maple syrup and dying my hair blue. The dye didn't come out for an entire week, and my dad still made me go to school.

My Dad is the kind of dad that you can openly joke around with, the kind you can tell almost anything to and he wouldn't judge you. He's kind of like a Dad to all the guys in the pack, counseling them when they're having trouble with school and giving advice about girls. But the second I try to join in on the inappropriate sex jokes, he casts me out. My Mom died when I was five in a car crash. She was a Lucidus, like me, which is just a fancy word for light. I can generate electricity through my palms, which comes in handy since werewolves can't shift if you shock them with a certain amount of wattage. When Mom died, he made it his mission to keep me as far away from pack life as possible. Only him and my brother know what I'm calpable of. He says it's too dangerous for me out there alongside the others. He doesn't think I'm cut out for pack life. Maybe it's because I'm his little girl, and maybe it's because there are other packs out there. Packs that look for people like me, that could use my powers to their advantage. But that doesn't stop me from sometimes, late at night, when even Aiden's friends have finally gone to sleep, from generating tiny sparks of electricity with my hands causing my room to glow. That's why my Dad calls me Flicker, everyone else just think he's referring to my eyes since they're blue with golden dust crusted around my pupil.