Chapter; 19

*Ryans POV*

"You want us to what..?" I asked Emma.

"Well, yesterday my mother suggested the idea that it would be nice that she meets my friends. So she's arranging the barbecue in a couple of days," she told me. I bit my lip and looked the other way.

"I dunno..." I replied. But as soon as I said that, Brendon began chuckling.

"What?" I asked.

"It's just ironic that they want to meet the 'friends' and not the boyfriend," he said. I widened my eyes and glanced at Emma. Then Brendon, and back to Emma.

"Your parents know about us, right?" I asked. She widened her eyes.

"Um... I don't know..." I cocked my head to the side.

"What's that supposed to mean?

"I'm not exactly sure if I told her..." she stated, looking down at the ground. I stared at her in disbelief. Brendon widened his smile.

"This's awkward... Isn't it?" he said aloud.

I furrowed my eyebrows. "How could you not tell her?" I asked. This was just crazy. I've been dating her for a while and she still hasn't told her parents.

"I mean, she probably already knows. Like, she's seen us together," she told me. I just shook my head.

"I just can't believe the fact that you never told her. I mean, my dad knew the day we started." She scoffed.

"I know. He was technically the one who set us up," she joked. But I rolled my eyes.

"No, I-"

"Are you two really going to argue about something this stupid?" Brendon intruppted. "Honestly, her mother already knows, it's obvious. And Ryan did ask you out first. He liked you long before he asked you out," he told us. I slightly widened my eyes and looked over to Emma.

"You liked me before we kissed?" she asked. I automatically nodded.

"Yeah, of course." She looked down and smiled. Just looking at her brought a smile to mine. "Ok, I'll go..." She automatically looked up at me and grinned. She hugged me and said;

"Wow, great! I can't wait!" she exclaimed.

Before we knew it, Brendon wrapped his arms around us.

"I'll be going too!" he cried out. "Man! I really like these group hugs!" he mumbled as he leaned against us. I slowly pulled away.

"Come on!" I told my friend, holding my arms up. "Us bros need our own hug!" He jumped up to me and squeezed me tight. Emma grinned and joined in.

"Sorry, guys. I just can't stand and watch," she muttered into Brendons and I's shoulders. We soon broke apart and chuckled. Emma looked at the sky and frowned.

"It's getting pretty late. I guess I should get going," she told us. We nodded and said;

"Yeah, Let's go."

Emma and I held hands as Brendon continued talking non-stop of something.

"So that's what I mean. I mean, Rachel said that. But I did too before her," he chattered.

Once we reached her front porch. She waited patiently for Brendon to finish.

"I'll just call you. It's a long story!" he told her. She chuckled and agreed. I kissed her and she went inside.

We then began walking home. "You know Caitlynn called me yesterday..." he said. I widened my eyes and my heart beat rose.

"Caitlynn?!" I nearly cried out. We slowed our pace.

"Yeah... she said that she can't wait to see you when we get back to school," Brendon muttered. I groaned.

"Shit.."

"I know."

"What are we going to do?!" I asked as we turned at the corner. Brendon shrugged.

"Don't know... I wonder what Emma will think. I hope she'll be ok," he told me. I nodded and sighed.

"I'm just thinking that this might ruin shit for her." I gestured my hands infront of me.

"Yeah, man..."

We stopped at our homes. "I'll text you."

"Alright, see ya." We hugged and I walked to my door. I grabbed my keys from my pocket and opened the door. I walked into the living room to see my dad sitting in the couch, watching a baseball game.

"Did you water the plants?" he grumbled.

"No, I was going to do that now," I replied. I grabbed the watering can next to the door and went to the sink. Filling it with water.

"Don't get the carpet wet!" he called out.

"I try!" I called back. I went out and poured the water on the plants. Then I ran back to the sink and refilled the watering can. I flew past my dad and ran back outside. I drizzled the plants, then walked back inside. I removed my shoes and set them next to the door. I walked past the living room to see dad leaning over, messing with his shoes. He then stood back up and walked past me. He grabbed his jacket from the table and slid his arms through the sleeves.

"We're going out," he told me as I started walking away.

"Where?" I asked.

"Out. Now go put your shoes on again and I'll meet you in the car." I heard the door slam and I sighed. I turned around and slid my shoes on, locking the door. And jogged to the car. He leaned over the the passenger's door and opened it. I entered and he started the car.

Vroom, Vroom.

The engine roared.

"We're going to the diner," he muttered as he drove.

***

"Umm... I'd like some coke, and a cheeseburger and fries," I told the red haired waitress.

"K, and you, honey?" she asked, turning to my dad.

"Same, but I'd like some beer."

"Your order will be rung up," she said. Then she turned around and walked off. Dad continued to stare at her and smile. I cleared my throat and connected my hands together and leaned against the table. Looking at my dad. He slowly looked over to me and smirked.

"School's starting soon," he stated.

"Yeah, in a couple of weeks," I told him.

"You know what that means," he muttered. I shrugged.

"Yeah."

"You need to keep working hard. Try to get that scholarship. Be top of your class. School comes first, friends and girlfriend second. You'll be in good business if you do," he replied, nodding his head. I looked him straight in the eye and slowly nodded as well.

"Yeah, always. I've actually been thinking that band practice might increase alittle. But I doubt it'll get in the middle of school," I muttered. He sighed and stood straight,

"As long as it doesn't get in the middle of school. I guess it's ok. And I mean, honestly, you'll see your friends at your school. In your bus. On the weekend. And Emma looks like a smart girl, she's probably going to do the same thing," he spoke, clearly. Yeah, but I still have a life too, I thought to myself. I shrugged.

"Don't worry, Dad. I'll keep my studying in my schedule as it's been for years. And spend the rest of my time with my friends. Just like all the times," I told him. The waitress came back and handed us our drink.

"Here you go, honey," she said as set our drinks down. "Your food will be here in a moment." And with that, she turned around and left. I rose my drink to my mouth. Dad smiled at the woman and turned back to me.

"So... I hear Caitlynn's back in town," he told me as I widened my eyes and nearly chocked on my drink.