Chapter 5-Nice Place

Ashton took me to his place in the woods, like deep into the woods. But he had a lot of land and when I mean a lot. I mean a lot. He had acres of green flat grass and in the middle was a large grey-stoned house. Multiple fancy sport cars sat at the front around a large water fountain. We walked up the steps to the two large brown double doors. He punched in a code on the side and opened the door.

"My parents are gone on...business. Only people that are here are some older people who are asleep, some younger kids who are asleep and people my age...are...well, you know." He said as to the little display in the woods.

"Oh well...I don't want to be a bother." I said nervously as I stepped inside.

"Trust me. You won't." He sighed dropping his car keys onto the little end table. Something was off about how he said that...It was just...odd.

I looked around at the polished wood, smooth floors, clean crisp rugs and everything else that was perfect. I followed him down the hallway and into a open space with a TV and multiple couches.

"Do you want anything?" He asked. Yes, a towel for my clammy hands.

"No." I said.

"You can sit, you know?" He chuckled walking away. I smiled at my own dumbfoundness and took a seat on the plush couches that I sank right into.He came back out and flicked on the TV and sat on the next couch over. His big and tall appearence frightened me a bit. He was huge! Not fat...just tall and well built.

"You have a nice home." I complimented

"Really? I think it is way too big."

"Well if you have a big family it is perfect size then."

"You have that right. So where were you at before?"

"Vancouver."

"And you moved here? Why on Earth would you do that?" He chuckled.

I know I don't really know him but for some reason..I felt like I could trust him. Something in my herat and mind told me he was safe and that...he wouldn't hurt me.

"My dad...H-he abused me and my mom while my twin brother was at a boarding school over seas...So in order to get away we come to this small little town where people turn into stuff." I said becoming overwhelmed.

"Oh well it's okay. Calm down." He said worriedly.

"No. Like what is going on? I am so confused. I come here make a friend and she turns into some butterfly with pointy ears."

"I really want to tell you...but I can't."

"Why? Is there some rule book that you can't tell newcomers?"

"No. It's a law that...people like...you. Can't be told."

"What do you mean 'People like me?'" I asked.

"You're...special."

"Special?"

"Yes. You have certain things and can do certain things that everyone here can't do or don't have...Do you understand?"

"No." I said quickly.

"Look...I am not being a jackass here. Don't take this the wrong way but I really can't tell you. If I tell you I could be killed. You have to wait a bit before I can officially tell you."

"How long?"

"Sorry?"

"How long before you can tell me what is going on?"

"Certain things have to be done, Nirvana. I have to make sure your the right person to tell."

"Right person?"

"You have to be linked to me somehow. Let's just drop the topic and talk about something else."

"Fine." I agreed still confused. What did he mean I have to be linked with him?

"Simple questions. Favourite movie?"

"Percy jackson and the Lightning thief." I answered. It was weird. Back in Vancouver I was lucky if I got to talk to a guy with the caliber of a super chess guy. Now I am sitting here with Mr. God-face and he actually seemed interested in me and wanted to know about me, which most guys don't want to know.

"Favourite food?"

"French fries."

"Favourite band?"

"Nirvana." I smiled.

"I could have probably guessed that. What is your favourite thing to do?"

"Ride horses."

"Why?"

"I don't know. My Shadow has always been there for me. I know he can't understand me...but it's like he can, you know? We have this connection and when you're riding and no one is telling you what to do...it's amazing. No one can touch me or hurt me when I am riding."

"Make's sense." He nodded.

"What else do you like to do?"

"I like to read and I like doing school work."

"Ah so you are a total nerd." He joked.

"Yea, I guess you could say that." I agreed smiling.

"So how come I get asked all the questions?" I asked.

"Favourite movie is never back down, favourite food is muffins, fresh blueberry ones and favourite band is Green day."

"Favourite thing to do? Or rather things?" I asked.

"I like to...run." He smirked and a flash of cold silver went through his eyes.

"Why?" I tested asking him the same questions.

"The same reason kind of. It helps blow off steam and lets me be myself and not let anyone bother me, gets me away from the annoying drama life of school."

"What do you mean annoying drama life? You have no one making fun of you. All the little girlies are after you." I laughed jokingly.

"Yea. But I never get to be by myself you know?I never get to sit by myself or walk down the hallway without someone talking to me. I just want to think sometimes."

"I get that all the time. Except at my last school I could never walk down the hallway without someone yelling 'nerd' or 'soon to be forty year old virgin'."

"No one said that."

"Trust me. They did. But I am far from a virgin." I said saying the last part quietly. As I stared at him he turned stiff and cold and a flash of silver went through his now pitch black eyes.