Afraid

IMPORTANT AUTHOR'S NOTE

Hello all! So I'm not sure if you all are aware, but 23 Feb through 1 March is America's National Eating Disorder Awareness Week. I watched one of my best friends struggle with this destructive disease known as bulimia nervosa and even after four years of therapy, she still struggles with it. I am dedicating

the next few chapters of Always Be Together to NEDAwareness Week in homage to those who struggled with and recovered from eating disorders, those who continue to suffer from them, those who have suffered with loved ones, those who have lost loved ones, and those who have lost their lives to these terrible disorders. These few chapters may be triggering to those who have experienced body image problems and eating disorders, so I understand if you chose not to read them. Also, if you are suffering, please do not hesitate to reach out to someone. Eating disorders are not something to be taken lightly and there is always someone there for you. I will always be here to lend an ear and to help you through anything.

Crisis Call Center (US)

800-273-8255 or text ANSWER to 839863

Twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week

http://crisiscallcenter.org/crisisservices.html

NEDIC Toll Free (Canada): 1-866-633-4220; Toronto: 416-340-4156

B-eat (Beat Eating Disorders) (UK)

Helpline: 0845 634 1414 (10:30am-8:30pm Mon-Fri & Sat 1pm -4:30pm)

Youthline 0845 634 7650 (4pm-6:30pm Mon-Fri & Sat 1pm to 4:30pm)

Text Service: 07786 20 18 20

Youth Helpline

24 hrs / Australia wide

Tel: 1800 55 1800

Youthline (Ireland): 0808 808 8000

Someone is always here for you. Remember, you are not alone.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So far it had been a week and I'd only consumed tea, water, and biscuits. I felt faint and I lusted for food, but when I exercised, I felt the weight melting off. I was on the elliptical that my mother had bought on a whim five years ago when Niall ran downstairs excitedly.

"Pez! Dad's here!" he said. I hopped off of the machine and ran up the stairs into the kitchen where Dad and Mark were talking.

"Daddy!" I squealed, jumping into his arms. He smiled and swung me around happily.

"Hi, beautiful," he laughed. His eyebrows shot up in surprise. "Look at you! You're stick thin! You need some meat on your bones." I had to suppress a shudder. If only he knew how hard I was working to not have any "meat on my bones".

"Oh, I've just been working out a lot," I beamed. He shrugged and grinned at Niall as he came upstairs.

"Well, I want you to ring Harry and Gemma, and I'm going to take you all out to dinner," he said. "So get all dressed up." I felt sweat drip down my face. If I went to dinner, I'd have to eat, and if I ate I knew I wouldn't be able to stop. Dad looked at me so expectantly that I just decided that self-control could be stronger than my want for food.

"Sounds great," I forced out. Harry and Gemma came over and while Gemma was doing my hair, she got suspiciously silent. "What is it, Gem?" She put the curlers down and lifted my shirt a bit before pinching the fat on my stomach.