Little White Lies

Zayn drove us to school the next day and when we walked into the building hand in hand, who else emerged but Rebecca Ferguson. She tossed her long hair behind her shoulders and looked me stonily in the eyes. Zayn bravely shifted me behind him slightly.

“Hey, Becca,” he said uncomfortably.

“Hi, babe,” she smiled. He frowned immediately. “Taking the dog for a walk?”

“Rebecca, that’s enough,” he growled. “If you’re going to be rude to my girlfriend, then you can fuck off.” He pulled me away and tucked me under his arm, kissing the top of my head. “No one gets to talk about you like that.”

“Except for you,” I laughed, bumping into him playfully.

“Yeah, except for me,” he chuckled. He carried my books to class for me and kissed me goodbye. Niall smiled at me briefly before turning his attention back to his aggravated girlfriend. I was a little lonely without Harry there to make me laugh, so I pulled my phone out and texted him throughout the class. They kind of faded out after a while, so I sighed and dropped my chin into my hands. Mr. Pollard’s eyes snapped to me angrily.

“Excuse me, Miss Edwards, is my lesson boring you?” he asked vehemently.

“No, it’s just that your lesson was so interesting yesterday that I went ahead and read the rest of the chapter,” I said. Steam practically came out of his ears, so I shot him a wide smile. “May I be excused?”

“I insist,” he said through his teeth. “And your assignment will be due just as soon as you walk into the classroom tomorrow morning.”

“I’ll do you one better, sir,” I smiled cheekily as I placed the assignment on his desk. “Have a good morning.” I left the class and started toward the library when I heard some quiet arguing. I went around the corner and my hand flew to my mouth when I saw who was talking. Rebecca Ferguson was pressed up against my boyfriend. I resisted the temptation of storming over and ripping her away from him by the roots of her hair and observed from a distance.

“Don’t you miss this, Z?” she purred, winding her arms up around his neck. “I bet she can’t do it like I can, can she?” She tried to lure him closer but, glory to God, he seized her by the wrists and pushed her away forcefully.

“I don’t want you,” he clipped angrily. “I love Perrie. No matter how you try to manipulate me, I will always love her.” I couldn’t help but feel a little giddy even under the current circumstances. He loved me!

“That fat whore’s not like me,” she insisted. I frowned and pinched a bit of my stomach fat. “How can you love her?”

“I fell in love with her for a reason,” he said. “I love her because there is no one like her.”

“I’m better for you.”

“It doesn’t matter. I don’t need a replacement.” She let out a small sob.

“You used to love me,” she whispered weakly. “You said that you loved me!” He was silent for a moment and the only thing that Rebecca Ferguson and I had in common was that we were both waiting for his response with bated breath.

“Love,” he finally said. “Is just a four letter word until someone comes alone and gives it meaning.” The bell rang and he left her standing there alone. I made it a point to come around the corner at just the right moment so Rebecca Ferguson would see me press my lips to his tenderly. His arms wrapped around me felt like home and his soft lips felt like heaven.

“I missed you,” I smiled. He laced our fingers together and looked down at me gratefully.

“You have no idea, Pez,” he said. He walked me to my next class and unfortunately, we had to go our separate ways until lunch. I went to gym and saw one my best friends Katherine waving wildly at me. She ran over in panic and nearly tackled me to the floor.