15. Girl Meets Maya's Choice

Life had never come easy for Maya, every day was filled with hard work, from her mother, to her teachers. They all wanted what was best for her, and she never thought hope existed, until she met a bubbly smiley little girl singing at her window. Riley taught her to hope even when everything was falling apart around her. Riley would hug her and make her feel better because she didn't have a father. Even when she thought that her mother was the one to blame for everything Riley had been there to fix the problems and give her and her mother a chance at fixing their relationship.

But that relationship was still broken for months afterwards, as Maya sought the help of the Matthews constantly over the smallest of matters. It wasn't until her mother married Shawn that Maya had finally given into the fact that Riley was right about something, there was always hope and that she shouldn't stop believing in herself. Now Maya had not only a mother who was always around but a father who truly wanted to be there for her. Shawn was everything her own father couldn't be, he talked to her, he made sure her mother was happy, and he even made sure that he adopted Maya. Just like her mother, she was now a Hunter.

There was one other thing that Riley had given her, and that's hope for love from someone who would love her back. Even if that person was Riley's Uncle Josh. She was seventeen and still struggling to grasp the fact that someday they might have something. But she wasn't expecting to feel heartbroken at the sight of him with another girl inside the café that her and her friends went to every single day, the place where her mother worked, where she and Riley worked during the busy times.

Instead of talking to him, she turned and walked away, slowly at first until she was running at full speed towards her best friend's apartment down the road. She didn't bother going through the front door, instead going around the back and climbing up to Riley's bay window. Riley was on her bed on her computer watching Red Planet Diaries and singing along to the theme song as Maya climbed through the window.

"Maya," Riley said as she saw her best friend panting, and out of breath from running. "Are you okay?"

"I... ran... here," she said trying to catch her breath. "Water..."

Riley rushed off to the kitchen before rushing back with a bottle of water and a worried look. Maya knew Riley was thinking the worse at that moment but she needed to breathe before she could talk to her best friend. After a few minutes she had finally been able to breathe when she looked up at her best friend's worried face.

"Is it wrong to wait?" was the first thing that came out of her mouth. She knew it was the question that had been hanging over her head for a year, ever since Josh said that they should play the long game, even when he told her that it was alright to date and see where they would end up. Instead she waited, because she wanted Josh to be with her, except now it felt like her heart was breaking.

"To wait for what?" Riley asked, Maya knew that her best friend wouldn't really understand unless she explained everything.

"For Josh," Maya said. "I wanted to wait, I couldn't really date anyone because he's the one I've always liked but now it feels so... I feel so... stupid."

"Oh Maya it's not stupid," Riley said hugging her. "I waited for Lucas for two years and look where we are, even with all the madness of the triangle and everything we went through we're happier than ever."

"But I just saw him with a girl... at the café... and all I could think was that I didn't want to have a broken heart, I wanted everything now, but seeing him with another girl..."

"It feels wrong," was all she said and all of a sudden that year, the triangle came back and she regretted every single thing that had happened. All of a sudden she was where Riley was and her heart broke. "Riles... I'm so sorry."