17. Girl Meets Lucas' Memory

Lucas woke up thinking that he dreamed of Riley and talking to her in the middle of the night, but he knew better because she's usually asleep when he sends her messages in the middle of the night. But when he looked at his phone he realized that it had been real and that she wanted to meet him at the café. He looked at the clock and rushed to get dressed, he shift started the moment the doors opened but it was usually quiet this early on Saturday mornings, until just about noon when all the students woke up looking for coffee.

When he got to Topanga's he noticed Riley automatically and how tired she looked, had she slept at all? He wondered but then remembered the messages and realized that she hadn't slept at all, so whatever it was that weigh on her mind was something huge.

"Hey Riley," he said as he walked inside worried that she was going to collapse.

"Meg," she called out to their weekend assistant manager. "I'm going to sit down if that's okay?"

"Go ahead, it's a quiet morning anyway, and drink some coffee you look dead on your feet," Meg said as she took over the counter stocking up the pastries.

Riley sat down at a booth and slowly sipped her coffee, Lucas watched her worried because she looked so tired.

"I have to ask you about something," she said as she finished her coffee.

"Go ahead, you asked me to meet you," he said looking at her tired eyes. "But promise me you'll get some sleep today?"

"I will, I only have a half shift today," she said smiling at him. "I'm here until noon and then I'm gone."

"I'll wait for you if that's okay... I don't want you falling asleep somewhere."

"Okay," she said before yawning. "Anyway, I need to ask you something serious...um... about the triangle."

Lucas didn't know where this was coming from, it was the one part of their relationship that he had wanted to forget. Even though there had been some good times it had felt like more of a strain to not show that he liked one girl over the other.

"What do you want to know?" he asked afraid of the reason why she was asking.

"I want to tell you something but you have to swear that you won't say anything," she said her eyes pleading for him to keep whatever she was about to say between them. "Please."

"Riley, you're scaring me."

"It's just that it has to do with Zay... and Maya."

"I promise, and if I break that promise I'll run around the block in only shorts and sneakers the next time it snows."

"That's a little extreme but I'll take your word for it," she said looking at her empty cup. "So... you know how Zay is going on these dates with Maya right."

"Yeah, he's so excited about it."

"Maya only asked him out because she saw Josh with another girl, and she thinks that she shouldn't wait for him anymore."

"Was he on a date with her?"

"No, they were studying for some midterm, but Maya has it in her head that the best way to get over her feelings for Josh is to go out with Zay and I don't want Zay to get hurt."

"What does the triangle have anything to do with Maya trying to move on?"

"Josh loves Maya," she said and he could all of a sudden understand her reasoning towards the question about the triangle. "Josh is where I was when everything happened, he's pushing his feelings aside because he's afraid of what he feels for Maya and he doesn't want to hurt her. Maya on the other hand is bringing Zay into all of this and in the end someone is going to get hurt.... So I wanted to know about how you felt during the triangle."