14. Girl Meets Cheerleading

It was the middle of sophomore year when cheerleading tryouts were announced, freshmen aren't allowed to try out so Riley had to wait a whole year before she could try out. After working with Coach Kelly during her last year of middle school, and even working harder in gym throughout the year she thought she would finally have a chance. Plus she wanted to be motivated about something after what had happened with her bullies, but when she pointed out the sign Maya rolled her eyes at her.

"No, not again," Maya said before walking away. "I'm not going through this again."

"But Maya, I'm better than I was in middle school," she said as she walked behind her best friend.

"Do I have to remind you of the ski lodge trip? You sprained your ankle just getting off the bus, and after that you couldn't do anything with us at all."

"I remember that trip completely different from you," Riley said smiling.

"That's because Ranger Rick was finally forced to admit that he liked you, and only kept the triangle going because he didn't want me hurt, because hurting me would hurt you."

"I know that but still, I've been real good about not falling this year, and when I did fall it wasn't really my fault," Riley said determined to state her case.

It was the end of the day and they were meeting up with their friends to go to Topanga's so they could do their homework. Riley walked up to Lucas and took his hand, smiling at him before Maya burst their bubble.

"Lucas, please be the voice of reason," Maya said as she stopped in front of him. "Tell her no to cheerleading."

"I think it would be a good idea and Maya hates the idea of me trying out because of all those years I forced her to try out with me," Riley sighed as she said the words. "But I'm not telling her to try out with me."

Lucas looked between the two of them before saying something. "I think it would be good for her to try out."

"For crying out loud," Maya said as Farkle joined them.

"What's happening?" he asked as he stood next to Maya.

"Cheerleading," Maya said. Zay laughed as he walked down the stairs to meet up with them.

"Riley again, really have you met the cheerleaders here?" Zay said and all Maya could do was point at him as her face screamed see what I mean.

"It's a good idea," Farkle said which made Riley smile.

"I have two for and two against," Riley said bouncing up and down. "Where's Smackle, she's the tie breaker."

They waited a few more minutes for Smackle to arrive, before explaining to her about cheerleading, the genius smiled at them.

"As much as I think that it's a terrible idea," Smackle said. "I think it's up to Riley to do what she wants. I will only support her because that's what friends do."

"Yes," Riley yelled jumping up and down around Zay and Maya.

"Fine whatever," Maya said. "I'll make sure we have ice ready for you when you end up falling."

"Thank you Maya," Riley said pulling her into a hug.

---------------------------------------------------------

Tryouts were a week away so Riley spent her afternoons with Lucas in the school gym working on her stamina and her strength. Since baseball season was still a month and a half away he wanted to stay in shape for when the season started. They worked until five before meeting their friends every day after school to study for two hours before she had to be home for dinner. Even after dinner she was working on handstands in her bedroom and anything else she remembered from Coach Kelly.