10. Girl Meets Sixteen

Riley woke up excited, she had set her phone to go off at five minutes to six, so that she would be awake for the exact moment she had been born. She really wanted sixteen to mean something mainly because the last time they had tried a surprise sweet sixteen, everything went down the drain. She remembered Maya's sixteenth birthday earlier in the year, she didn't want to make a big deal so they all stayed up all night in Farkle's penthouse and played video games and danced around. It felt so normal and fun at the same time. Josh had sent Maya a picture of the two of them framed with the word someday carved on the back. He had given her hope for their someday even if Zay had insisted that Maya go out and explore other relationships instead of waiting for Josh.

She watched as everyone aged up, Lucas now seventeen with a junior license so he could drive them around as long they made it back by curfew. Zay and Farkle both worked on getting their licenses with Lucas' help, while they all watched in horror as Farkle almost crashed the car into a tree. Smackle's sweet sixteen had been a dinner at a fancy French Resturant on 65th street, because Farkle wanted her to have a special day, her parents as well as his were there along with all of their friends.

Riley didn't want a big party, she only wanted her friends, her boyfriend, and her family. She wanted dinner at home prepared by her mother and a cake from her favorite Italian bakery with strawberries on top. As the clock turned to six in the morning she jumped up and did a dance, she was officially sixteen, and instead of everything changing the way they had feared, it had all just gotten better. They grew together and it was the best gift she could ever ask for.

She walked into her closet and pulled out a dress her Aunt Morgan had sent her for her birthday, the dress went just below her knees, and it was a dark purple color, it came with a dark sweater to go over it, and Riley pulled out a pair of knee high black boots that her Grandmother Amy had sent to her. The outfit was perfect for her to go to school in, and she was happy about it. She skipped to the bathroom and took a quick shower before going back to her room to do her hair.

Her phone rings as she puts the finishing touches on her hair but as soon as she picks it up the caller hangs up. The number says unlisted so she leaves it to be someone who dialed the wrong person and finishes putting herself together. As she skips to the dining room she smiles as she sees her mother making breakfast and gives her a kiss.

"Good Morning Riley," her mother says turning away from the stove. "Happy Birthday sweetie."

"Thanks Mom," she says hugging her mother.

"There she is," her father says from the hallway. "My baby girl is sixteen today." He rushes towards her and gives her a bear hug lifting her up off the floor before putting her down and rubbing his back. "You're not as light as you used to be."

"Yeah, and I'm also not seven," she laughed as she watched him sit down on his chair. "You have to stop doing that or one day you're going to break your back."

"Yeah whatever, I'm going to do that until the day you get married, you'll be forty when that happens right?"

"No," she said smiling. She didn't know when she would get married but she wasn't going to wait that long.

The door to the apartment opened just as her brother slammed himself into her side taking all the air out of her lungs. He was getting bigger every day and it amazed her how grown up he was.

"Happy birthday Riley," he said to her.

"What's up Matthews," Maya said from the door before she came over to Riley. "Happy Birthday Riles."

"Alright breakfast is ready," her mother said making them turn around. They all sat down for breakfast and talked like they always did, about the weather, about school, and about Riley's birthday dinner. It was only family and friends, so it would be a small party but it was what she wanted the most, and her parents knew that.