19. Girl Meets Over Night Guest

It was April and the year had gone by so fast, that Riley couldn't understand why so much had happened during one school year. She was tired, of the drama in her life, of the constant push and pull. Most of all she was just tired, all she did was study and write papers. It was Thursday night and she was in her room looking over her notes for Science, while Lucas read his book for English. Her parents were in the living room working, her father grading all of the papers that they had handed in the day before, her mother working on a case. Both of them were so busy that they hadn't realize that Lucas had been in her room all afternoon and she didn't care because he would run his fingers through her hair while she laid on his lap.

She was wearing her favorite sweats and her old John Quincy Adams gym shirt and it felt so comfortable. They were on the floor on top of her carpet, their notes spread out around them, while Sleeping at Last played in the background. The two of them hadn't noticed when they had both nodded off and fell asleep. For some reason Riley had felt so comfortable just sleeping on the floor. During the night Lucas had wrapped his arms around her and Riley had laid her head on his chest. The music and the sound of his heart had been the best lullaby for her.

Her parents had been too tired to check on her like they normally did so they had gone to sleep without thinking to see if Lucas was still there. So when the morning light began to shine through Riley's window at six in the morning she turned to grab her pillow only to be greeted by Lucas' chest. She had to bite back a scream and nudged her boyfriend, but he had only pulled her closer and nuzzled his neck into her hair, making her giggle.

"Oh god," she said trying not to giggle from the way he was trying to burrow his face into her neck like it was a pillow. "Lucas," she whisper yelled at him. "Lucas wake up."

"Five more minutes," he mumbled before taking a deep breath.

"No, my parents can't find you here," she said shaking him. "Come on please wake up."

He slowly opened his eyes and looked into hers before pulling away and looking around the room. "Oh man, did this really happen?"

"You slept over, and I don't think my parents will like the fact that you're here when they come to wake me up."

"Crap," he said standing up. The two of them gathered all of his stuff and shoved it into his bag, before he slowly walked towards the bay window. He gave her a quick kiss before rushing down the stairs. She watched as he ran home, knowing that he has to change into something else, she was also worried that his parents were going to yell at him.

"Riley," her father screamed pounding at the door. "Open up."

"Cory why are you yelling so early in the morning," her mother's voice said from the other side of her door.

Riley stood there afraid of her father for a minute, afraid that he had seen Lucas, had he seen Lucas? Was all she could think.

"Aren't you supposed to be headed to school for a meeting?" her mother asked but her father continued to pound on the door.

"Riley, I swear open the door," he said and Riley knew she was in trouble.

She opened the door as slowly as she could but he pushed his way into the room making her fall backwards on the floor. Her mother rushed over to pick her up.

"Why was Lucas climbing out of your window at six in the morning?" her father said making her mother turn to her.

"It's not what you think, we didn't do anything," Riley said automatically defending herself. "We were studying last night and we fell asleep and that's all that happened I swear."

"Lies," her father screeched out.

Her mother was looking around the room noting the scattered notes on the floor, and the fact that Riley's bed was still made.