Chapter 30: The Dinner part 2

College hasn't exactly been merciful to me and it won't exactly be better for a while. This chapter was challenging to write, especially that I've gone beyond my usual word count.

Please enjoy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Somewhere in the Kurosawa Main House Compound...

It was already dark out when a Kurosawa elite left the main house and walked briskly to the outskirts of the compound. He took into account the other elites stationed around the borders of the compound, ready to take on any danger. After all, there were important guests currently dining in the main house. This elite's destination finally came into view. A one storey stone building with that had been dedicated specifically to keep people locked up, prisoners if you will, from what he could gather from the other elites.

With his status as an elite, the guards at the door did not question nor stop his entry into the premises. He went into the deeper levels of the building, to where he guessed the more 'important' prisoners were kept. He felt for the familiar item strapped to his wrist beneath the armor, thinking -and thankful- of how no one had suspected him so far. After all, this was a mission, and he always did things calculated and to perfection.

Main House

Mai's face twisted into a scowl as Shane's son -Taro- took his seat across from her. Her mind flashed with memories of their time at Mori Samurai Dojo. Taro would seize every available opportunity to taunt her. At first Mai attempted to be on friendlier terms with him, not wanting to continue down the same path their parents took. And for a while it worked, then he changed and the taunts started once more, to the point where Mai would avoid him and leave him be. That is until his remarks went on a much deeper personal level

.

.

.

Flashback

The students were lounging in the gardens of the school. It was one of those days when their sensei encouraged them to train their minds through meditation. Of course being the class of preteens they were, most of the students decided to relax and enjoy the afternoon. Eleven year old Mai had isolated herself to a quiet spot by a small pond, fully aware that if their sensei caught students not meditating, the students would receive punishment. As she continued to block out the noises around her, Mai heard footsteps approach and felt annoyed that someone invaded her claimed territory. Having decided to ignore the intruder, Mai's annoyance further increased when she heard an all to familiar voice.

"Well," Taro began, "if it isn't the Jewel of the Mizushima Clan"

"Please stop calling me that. And you should know by now that taunting me is pointless. You should go meditate," Mai replied.

"Oh, just because you're ahead than the rest of us you think you're already the head of us all?"

"I've never said anything like that nor have I shown reason to act in such a manner. Will you you sit and be quiet. If sensei finds out..."

"What, are you afraid of sensei, Jewel?" Taro cut in.

"I am not. Can you please leave? You're disturbing my concentration"

"And if I don't?"

Mai kept silent and ignored Taro's comments. Seeing as Mai wouldn't say or acknowledge him anymore, Taro went for a different tactic. Mai heard him lean on a nearby tree and casually yawn.