Chapter 29: The Dinner

"Shane," Mai stated, her voice laced with venom. She moved forward, ready to punch him, but the guards around Shane were quicker and held her back.

"Is that any way to treat your host?" Shane purred, a satisfied smug gracing his features at the sight of the restrained Mizushima.

"Seeing as you have me here against my will, I don't see why not. Where are Megumi, Ichigo and Huey?"

"I have your family members somewhere comfortable. As for your little friend? He's no longer here"

"What did you do to him!?"

"Nothing. He ran like a dog back to the surface"

"You're lying!"

"I have no reason to," Shane replied, his grin displaying victory. Shane's gray eyes watched as Mai slumped forward, her head focused on the ground.

"What now?" Mai growled, "We fight for the position of Headover Moonrea?"

"My my Jewel of the Mizushima, aren't you in much of a hurry? Fighting is the last thing you should worry right now. You will be joining my family and I for a feast. A feast in your honour"

"Why?" a surprised Mai asked.

"You'll find out in time. Until later, Mai Mizushima"

Shane exited the room as the guards dumped Mai on the floor and shut the steel door behind them.

"Make sure that the Jewel is fed and her injury checked. And when the time comes, have her properly dressed for tonight," Shane ordered.

"Hai, Shane-sama!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In the hour after Shane had left, food had been brought to Mai and a physician was brought in to look over an re-bandage Mai's arm. Afterwards, when she was alone again, Mai sat against the cold wall and crossed her legs. Eyes closed, she began to meditate. The tension in her muscles began to roll away, and her breathing evened out. As she did this, Mai went over the plan. She honestly hoped Huey was fine and that he did his part. Please, she hoped, for my sake, don't let Shane's words be true. Sighing, Mai's eyes peeled open and she gazed at her hands, eyeing her right wrist. With her left hand on her right wrist, Mai stood; armed or not, she would have to be prepared for anything that came her way. Just what is Shane planning? She thought, slipping into a fighting stance. She began to reiterate through the moves of the kime-no-kata*.

Mai continued in this manner, doing it slowly so as not to expend her energy. It was unknown to her how much time had passed, but she stopped abruptly when she picked up the sound of footsteps from outside her cell. Mai quickly sat seiza style on the futon and watched as the metal door slid open. A guard stood there and said, "Time to go"

"Where are we going?" Mai demanded, slowly standing up.

"To Yuki-san. You have to be presentable before going to the main dining room"

The guard stepped aside, waiting for her to get out. When Mai stepped into the corridor, she noticed that there where nine more guards, specifically the elites, inhabiting the hallway.

"Am I that dangerous to have these many guards?" Mai said, more to herself. Mai was rather pleased to know that her grin unsettled the guard beside her as he shoved her in the direction of the baths.