Chapter 20: Truce

Huey P.O.V

After leaving my brother and Lee, I went up to the roof. I laid back and watched the moon. The argument with Lee left me in an emotional turmoil. Was I really that horrible a person? Am I not justified to feel the way I after Ming. Ming, who gained my trust, was my first girlfriend and broke my heart. Were my actions not justified based on those reasons?

I sighed and looked onto the stars scattered across the sky. My actions as of late have been to protect myself. Wasn't it the right thing to do? I might as well take responsibility and make that antidote for Lee. I was irrational and too suspicious for no good reason. The sound of a car drew my attention and I watched Granddad turn off the engine. Looks like its dinner time.

Time skip after dinner..

Lee P.O.V

Dinner had been painfully awkward, especially for Huey and myself. For one, neither of us spared each other a glance and maintained silence. Only Granddad and Riley conversed, leaving us to ourselves. After dinner, I offered to clean up while Riley and Granddad went off to watch television.

I stood at the sink washing the glasses and cutlery.

"I'm sorry," Huey whispered.

I was so stunned I dropped the glass in my hand, and only came to my senses when I heard the glass break. Blinking, I knelt down to pick the pieces of the broken glass. Huey did the same but with a small plastic bag and I put the glass shards in. Once we were done, I mumbled 'thank you' and returned to washing the dishes. My mind was at war. Why the apology? Shouldn't I be the one apologizing? I heard Huey throw out the plastic and turn to leave. But before he could leave the room, I stopped him, surprising even myself with the words I said.

"I too would like to apologize for my behavior as well, Huey. I... my actions are often out of turn and very unnecessary. And also for holding my weapons at your neck which could have ended disastrously," Lee apologized.

"It's okay," Huey replied. Silence hung heavy in the air as we stood, staring anywhere but each other.

"The kitchen's clean now" I chirped nervously.

"Yeah," Huey responded. A few minutes of silence followed.

"This is awkward," I commented.

"Very. I'll just go ahead and make that antidote"

"Huey, you don't have to make that antidote. I think the effects are wearing off. Maybe a little slow for my taste, but I'll be fine"

"Are you sure? This may be the last time I'm this...'agreeable'"

"I'm sure I've bothered you enough. I've been to out of character anyway. You just go about your life, and I will mine"

"Well, good night, Lee"

"Huey," I asked, "Ming, was she just a close friend of yours?"

I looked up to see Huey's back faced to me. He sighed and replied a quiet 'no' before leaving the room. Which left me to wonder and piece the little puzzle together. Whoever Ming was, she broke Huey's heart.