Out of My Element, Out of My Mind

(A/N) Welcome again to another chapter from hell. It gives a little background information on Louis, which is reflective of his current demeanor. There are a couple new encounters for Louis in this chapter as well. It's a bit awkward, and it's meant to be, because this is a new event and Louis is not used to the situation or the circumstances. Bear with me. 

(LOUIS POV)

I watched Harry and my grandmum talk for what seemed like hours on end. I would get up occasionally to refill her cup or to shut off the kettle after it would begin to whistle. I couldn't help but feel emotional with the whole situation. I had never really let anyone into my home before, and seeing the two of them connect so easily was kind of magical. My grandmum is over protective and doesn't like many people, really if anyone at all. But I saw the way she smiled at Harry, and I could tell she was already fond of the boy.

I would trade looks between them, not really saying much, just listening. It felt like a home again. After my parents passed, I found that my life had really changed. I couldn't really get over the accident, and it took a while for me to open up to my grandmum and grandad after the whole thing. And then, a few years later when I turned 14, my grandad died too, and it was just me and my grandmum. It felt really small and empty. It kind of felt like everyone was leaving me one by one.

I shook the thoughts from my head. There was no reason to spoil the evening.

"Eh Louis, what time is it?" Harry asked me, craning his neck to see if there was a clock around.

I pulled my phone from my pocket and waited for the screen to glow.

"It's almost eight now," I sighed, knowing he would have to leave.

"Gosh, I've been here for quite some time now huh?" He said, a shocked look on his face.

"The hours always fly by when you're in good company hun," my grandmum said, smiling at him.

Harry slowly got up from the couch, popping the bones in his back and neck.

"Well, I should probably get going. Don't want my mum going crazy."

"Oh, alright,"I said, getting up and walking over to where he was standing.

"Hey, I live two streets over from here, if your Nan doesn't mind maybe..."

"Louis, why don't you pack a bag and walk over with Harry? Maybe stay over night?" I was surprised.

No, I was shocked.

My grandmum must have really taken a liking for Harry, because she never let me go over to another person's place without thoroughly trusting them.

"That sounds brilliant!" Harry gushed. "You want to? My mum is soooo nice and would love you!" Harry grabbed me and slung his arm around my shoulder.

"Uh, yeah, sure why not," I said, laughing a bit. To be quite frank, I was scared out of my mind. I had to make the most amazing impression and one side of my head was covered in dry blood.

"Can I wash up first? I don't wanna walk over with dry blood and scare the poor woman," I asked, speaking on my thoughts.

"Yeah no problem. Gives me more time to talk to this charming lady." Harry grabbed her hand and gave it a light kiss. I could hear my grandmum giggle.

"Jesus you're a flirt," I laughed, "I'll be down in about 15 minutes."

I ran upstairs to my room and grabbed another flannel and a long sleeved gray shirt. I collected a couple more items and made my way to the bathroom.