Chapter 32: A getaway holiday

February always rushed by in a blur and I blamed it on the fewer days. It always felt like I blinked and then it would be over. Lately, time had been moving so damn fast but it was only when I saw the March tag on my latest blog post that I realised.

The year felt like it had just begun and now we were already in the third month. It wasn't because it had just whizzed by without us doing anything, if anything we only grew busier and busier. I'd finish my degree in just a few months and my blog and YouTube channel were doing as well as ever, even if I chose to focus on quality content over quantity output. People seemed to love that I posted so "well made" things on my two platforms.

I had also slowly been growing my contact list with photographers after I walked the runway at the Dolce & Gabbana. Building on from the online shop seemed more and more likely and the fact that I might even open a gallery one day, which I hadn't even properly thought about before Nate brought it up. It wasn't something I wanted to work on before I finally had that diploma in my hand. Education was so important, even if I didn't end up using it directly, then everything I learnt would help me make capable decisions in the future.

Nate was always shooting for the moon with his dreams and aspirations and most of the time his determination got him there. Despite not having a technical education, he was becoming a valued designer at Canon and they had agreed to give him more freedom after he'd pushed them at negotiations. He was no longer just a "famous" name that they could use to attract customers but he'd proved his worth as a valued consultant.

However, being busy meant that we didn't see each other as much as we'd like. We were working or partly working all the time and I finally got what Nate had meant when he'd talked about having trouble switching off some times when we'd first met. Social media was always there and there were always notifications. In fact, Nate was exceptionally good at switching off all things considered, while I struggled more.

"Hey, would you want to take a weekend away?" he asked softly one night in bed.

It had been another one of those long days and he'd only just come home minutes ago to immediately crawl into bed with me and cuddle up against me. I could see the tension drain from his shoulders the further he pressed into my embrace while his hands lazily traced patterns down my back.

"I always want to get away with you," I said earnestly. "But I honestly doubt that we can schedule it."

Adding the last part hurt a bit and it felt like something fractured within me. This couldn't be right. We couldn't be so busy that we didn't have time to just get away and take some time off, companies and social media be damned. We were entitled to a holiday if we needed one. We surely worked enough to earn one.

Nate was about to open his mouth to protest but I spoke first.

"No, you know what? We can schedule one, we're damn entitled to a getaway sometimes," I said, feeling the anger at myself course through me.

Nate giggled and snuggled up closer to me while he pressed a soft kiss to my neck.

"That's settled then. What about in two weeks? We'll go somewhere in the UK and just go completely off the grid, no work, no updating social media. It feels like ages since we did something like that."

"We've hardly ever travelled just the two of us," I hummed and wrapped my arms tighter around him. "I mean we did go to Sydney but even then we went to events and hung out with friends. Like most times when we've travelled, we've either been with family or friends or we're going to work things or hanging out with friends. It's always fun and amazing to catch up with people we hardly ever see but going away just the two of us sounds nice."