The New Girl

Chapter 1

The New Girl

New town, new school... Yay! Best part, (cue sarcasm) is I'm starting with only 6 weeks left of year 11. I tried to convince my Mum to let me start next year but she rambled on, something about making friends before the holidays - "I don't want you moping around the house for the entire holidays. You can go make some friends to hang or chill with. Whatever you kids call it these days." Blah blah blah, yeah Mum, whatever. She knows I'm not one to make friends easily. It's not that I don't want friends its just people find it hard to take me. Probably because I'm loud and outspoken and tend to tell it how it is. So yeah.

Dad worked at the Sydney, New South Wales airport as 2IC in the customs office. He got offered a promotion at Perth airport. "I hardly see either of you now as it is, what's gonna happen when you start this job?" I asked dad, fuming when he dropped it on me. "Hun I have to take it I would be mad not to, and you're right, but once I settle in I will be home more. I may even be able to retire early! Your mum will be able to slow down in her work too. You've just got to roll with it for now" He told me pleading with his eyes for me to understand.

Mum has her own business making things for weddings out of Swarovski crystals. Things like bouquets, cake toppers, etc etc. They are STUNNING... wait, no... that doesn't even cover it. AMAZING, FANTASTIC, OUT OF THIS WORLD BEAUTIFUL. I love the bouquets the best because you can never get two the same they are so unique. I've always said that if I ever get married, she'll do my wedding. She also does the flower girl baskets, ring pillows, centrepieces, boutonnieres... anything really.

I'm so proud of her she has this amazing talent for taking something simple and turning into something beautiful. She really is gifted. She makes a great living from it so is always busy as she is in high demand. She's made a real good name for herself. People from all around the world want her unique style for their wedding so she travels a lot too.

So anyway, we sold the house they brought me home from the hospital to, packed up decade's worth of memories and off we toddled to a small, quiet suburb called Woodsdale in Perth, Western Australia. Nothing like the flashy, bustling town we moved from. We bought a 2 story house, which I fell in love with instantly, and I started school a week after we shifted.

So here I am standing out the front of Jakody senior high school. It's 8:05am and school doesn't start till 9:00. I arrived a bit early to get my class schedule and familiarize myself with the school. There is the car park for staff out the front of the office, then a massive grassed area and two smaller car parks for drop off and pick up or for students with cars. To the right are the bus bays and behind that is a mass area of tall dead grass and large trees. What a waste of land.

I take in my unfamiliar surroundings and am overwhelmed by all the new faces. I wasn't what you would call a popular girl at my old school but being there from the beginning of year 8 meant I at least knew everyone. I wasn't fazed about being the new girl... Until now. As I look around I start to feel a bit nervous, or paranoid. All the groups of kids are looking and, not so subtly, pointing then laughing or whispering. It makes me feel the urge to check for a boogey hanging out of my nose... or perhaps... have I left the house without my pants? I looked down as I thought of that one because all of a sudden I couldn't remember actually getting dressed... Nope I have my skirt on, Yep definitely paranoid! Deep breaths calm down you're being silly! I wipe my nose... just in case, then mentally slap myself to snap out of it.

_________________________________________

From the corner of my eye I could swear I caught a glimpse of what looked like someone moving between two trees over in the tall grassed area behind the bus bays. I decided to investigate. Beats standing around here looking like... like a new kid. As I got closer I could hear multiple girl's voices chatting and laughing away happily. When I squeezed through two tree trucks that revealed a small clearing the noise stopped and four girls turned to stare at me. "Hi" said a very petite short girl after a short, awkward silence.