Kickin' Ass and Chewing Gum

The air was thick with an edgy tension and Gideon could almost taste the doom in the air. Something was about to happen and her instincts screamed that it was something big. The Fury wasn't the only one who could sense whatever strange, fell air had cocooned the Camp. It was oppressive, thic and heavy, making the predators grumble and the prey cower.

Ebony had fangs so descended that she was speaking with a heavy lisp. Peter had picked Luna right up and sat with her curled in his lap while he glowered at anyone who came too close. Luc was a lover, not a fighter and he paced restlessly, needing to burn off some nervous energy. Gideon watched a crackle of energy dance over her skin, a dangerous warning sign that spoke louder than words that her body was preparing for a fight to the death. And she still had no clue what it was that was happening. The only  ones not overly bothered by the aura looming over hte entire Camp were Virgil and Ankou. Virgil just seemed patient, waiting for the excitement to start, and Ankou just looked sick. He'd started a fever in the middle of the night and even now dozed fitfully while everyone else stewed silently. Everyone just wanted the next bit of news, their entire day thrown into chaos by the dragon this morning.

They had been eating breakfast in the Mess and Meet when Doctor Cyr demanded their attention.

"Ladies and gentlemen, our farseer says that I need to get you all sequestered inside your respective Houses. Councillors, take your intakes; Head Councillor Hassleberry you can take Gideon's Snowflakes. I need to speak with her." the dragon instructed.

So Gideon had stayed and listened while Doctor Cyr told her that the Camp was in lock down. Their farseer was being countered, unable to determine more than that danger was high and imminent. Knowing what Gideon was and the messy things she was capable of when unleashed, it made sense to prime her. What Gideon hadn't expected was for the dragon to lift her constriants entirely. She had full and complete authority to give in to her Fury side and do what needs to be done to protect this Camp and the kids inside it. Although the dragon had no direct control over whether Gideon Furied out or not, he had given her explicit permission to. Gideon hadn't let go of her own personal rules in a very long time and the last time she had, they couldn't count the bodies; there were too many severed pieces. But that had been when she was still doing her 'job'  as a Fury and before she had learned some... restraint. And she had grown in many ways since then so this would be a whole new drawer of knives.

The knowledge that Gideon could go all out offered no comfort. It just increased her anxiety because now it was inevitable that something was going to happen. Part of her just wanted it to start already, better to get it going and over with already. The more practical part of her realized that the wiser path by far was avoiding the conflict entirely, but admittedly that part of her was rather small.

Every head in the room, including the exhausted Ankou's, rose and soft gasps filled the room. Gideon felt the blood in her veins tingle and suddenly throb as whatever it was that stalked the Camp had finally arrived.

"Here we go." Virgil breathed from behind and just to the side of Gideon. She had unconsciously gone to the door, putting herself between the point of entry and the vulnerable kids inside.

Movement caught Gideon's attention and she saw the pale faced Ankou shuffling closer to the door, moving like someone who is entranced. His eyes were rolled into the back of his head and a small line of blood dribbled out his nose, the stench of rot filling his aura and even the room around him. It was then that the puzzle pieces clicked and Gideon understood why a Loki like Virgil was drawn here. Ankou's parent's must have reinforced their edict for him to complete his Summoning. And from the sensations it was evoking, Ankou was one hell of a Summoner.

Gideon wrapped her hand around Ankou's wrist and felt the zap flare through her skin to burn into the boy's. She jerked her grip away but there was already and angry burn on his skin. He was so completely enthralled that he didn't even notice, whatever it was he Summoned had overwhelmed his young, fragile mind. A loud, horrible bellow rent the air, an almost painful slap against their ears and most flinched in response. She felt her eyes go wider and her nostils flare as the darkness shot under her skin in response. The others were inconsequential to her as she opened the door and stepped out. To the left and right the other Councillors all opened their doors as well, all eager to gape and try to catch a view of what was coming. A backwash of wind blew Gideon's hair away from her face and held the tang of brimstone. Doctor Cyr had just landed, in all his Draconian glory, to put himself between the threat and his charges. But the Fury knew he was their last line of defence. She was their best chance of survival.