Reap the Whirlwind

As Gideon handed out the day passes to her intake, she couldn't help but wonder how on earth the Doctor thought it was a good idea to let several groups of malcontented teens to run amok in a crowded mall. But she had been on the other side of the learning spectrum a few years ago herself, and new the need to have some kind of stress release valve built into the program for these kids or else they would self destruct.

She just kept her doubts to herself and let the kids grab their passes and climb onto the bus. Gideon swallowed her grin when she noticed that Luc had sat right next to Xavier and was deep into a discussion with the golem. She wasn't 100% sure it was about sexual orientation vs genetic impulse, but it was a pretty good bet that's what the incubus would be talking to Xav about.

The smile fell off her face and was replaced with the unreadably calm smirk she always had when trying to keep someone from reading her expression. She had two very different men watching her right this moment and having either one know what was going on in her head would be a problem.

One was her convict, Virgil, and he was frowning at her, trying to figure out what she was feeling. Ever since their little incident that one morning, Gideon had kept herself entirely shut down to his empathic gift. It seemed to disturb the convict and as a point of poetic irony, was also seeming to teach him a lesson. She had felt him respect people's emotional bouncaries a little more and she hadn't caught one trace or hint of him pushing emotions on anyone after that. Not that he was in the clear, not by a long shot.

But the reason Gideon had cleared her face off was the glaring hatred on Jasper's face. She didn't see the point in gloating but just her being in his line of sight was an insult to the man. He was angry that her intake was on the bus at all, he seemed convinced that they were no good, guilty by association no doubt.

"All the intakes have been complaining that things are going missing. Except for hers. Obviously the thief is one of those hooligans!" Jasper had accused, standing in front of Doctor Cyr with Gideon right there. No one else was a witness to this thankfully, but Gideon still had to ground and center herself to deal with the indignation his comment roused. She was the master of this maelstrom, not the other way around, and like every time thus far, Gideon held onto her temper.

"Jasper, no one gets a chance to go into my intake House during silent hours because I sleep on the damn couch. And when we leave for the day, I invoke the protection sigils just the same as you have, so the thief has no chance to rob my kids. Maybe you should try actually being there for them." Gideon retorted, knowing the difference between standing up for herself and picking a fight with an idiot.

"Gideon, Jasper. Enough." Doctor Cyr commanded softly. He wasn't an old man, but he was definitely passed fifty and had a powerful aura of command. Everyone knew he'd been special forces military before becoming a doctor. It sounded impossible, but Doctor Kravitz Cyr was a Drake, dragonkin. He looked human when he needed to but given a chance, the man fell away and the wings were revealed. He wasn't all that much bigger, but the differences more than made up for it. Reptile aspects aside, he was intimidating as a man and need never raise his voice to command attention.

"But why is it that a group of mobsters is getting rewarded just the same as my good kids?" Jasper demanded, actually stepping closer to the doctor.

Gideon locked eyes with Doctor Cyr for a moment and understood the command in his eyes. She stepped outside so they could finish the next part without any witnesses.

"Is everybody ready to go?" Senior Councilor Hasselberry called out, comparing butts in seats to names on paper. It was enough to pull Gideon's attention back to the task at hand. A quick scan showed her all her kids were there, scattered amongst Lisa's and Xavier's Jasper had half his kids on this bus and half on another and the other intakes were scattered in the other transports.