Chapter 26 (Thursday)

Jada's POV

            The sight of Ren's house has never made my heart pound so quickly. It's the anxiety of wondering what's going inside there. Maybe she just hopped in the bathtub, fell asleep, or got wrapped in some homework. I don't care what it is, but anything would be better than nothing. I park my car and jump out, running across the street and into the gate that's already wide open, which is weird because their gate is always closed and locked at night. My eyes trail up to the door to see it's cracked open slightly. Now panic is really starting to overwhelm me.

I don't know if I should walk closer to it, scared to come in contact with any an intruder or something, but I slowly get closer and closer until I step on something hard. Surprisingly, Ren's phone is lying face up on the ground, and the screen's shattered in different places with stray pieces surrounding it. Tears are starting to fall down my face as I fall to my knees and hold the phone to my chest.

I already know she's not in there. I don't know where she is, but she's not in the house. Nobody is. The loud footsteps coming from behind me makes me jump to my feet, but it's just Dejah. She notices the tears running down my cheeks and the open door and starts shaking her head. "Did you check in there, Jada? She has to be in there!" she yells desperately.

"She's not," I say, barely loud enough for myself to hear. I hold her phone up so that she can see it.

"No...I'm going to check. She's in there!" She rushes pass me and enters the house. The lights flick on in each of the rooms, but I hear nothing. No big "hello" from Angel, or a "what's up, baby" from Mike, and not a "hey, sissy" from Ren because nobody's in there. Even as much as we want there to be.

"Babe...what are you doing here?" Marlon asks, coming through the gate.

"You got one too?" I asks, wiping the tears form my eyes, but it doesn't help the ones following.

"Got what?"

"She's not in there, Jada. What the fuck!" Dejah cries, running into me.

I hold her up with the little strength I have and pat her head on my shoulder. "We have to call her mom and the police. We have to call somebody," I say.

"We can't call nobody," Marlon says.

Dejah's head shoots up and she storms up to him, sticking her finger in his chest. "What are you talking about? Our best friend is gone, and you don't want to call anybody? Why do you not even look surprised?" she shouts, poking him after every word she says. She's right. He doesn't look surprised at all, and if he didn't get a text message but he's still here, then he obviously has a deeper reason.

"Marlon, what the hell do you know? Where's my best friend?"

Jessie's POV

I sent Mike the text to let him know we were on our way earlier, so hopefully him and his homies not still in their bando. Right now, I'm in the car with Gustavo, Juan, and Hector, and there are three cars behind us filled with more of the gang. "Turn on this corner," I tell Juan.

All these abandoned projects make me remember when I had to come this way to pick up Korrine. That was the old Jessie. Now I'm coming with a gun in my lap and have the intentions of shooting up a spot. I've never even shot a gun before.

"Estas listo/Are you ready?" Gus asks me.

I nod. To him, this is my first real mission that's going to get him exactly what he wants. To me, this is the mission that's going to get me more money and out of this gang shit, but that's if it all goes right.