Chapter 5 (Monday)

Korrine's POV

Walking back into school after two months lowkey feels good. Even though summer was fun and all, I'm ready to get my head back on track and get school over with period. Two more years left, and then I'll be out here and on to college, but it'll also just be a reminder that I'll be eighteen and free.

We head into the attendance office before it starts getting pack, and right way, Ms. May catches my eye. She's sitting behind her desk, typing away with one hand, and holding a coffee mug to her lips with the other. She's been working her since we were in ninth grade, and she's one of my favorite staff members on campus. It's like having my very own grandma at school because I can always come and talk to her, get help from her, or just share a good laugh with her. "Ms. May!" I shout, rushing over to her desk and reaching out to give her a hug.

She laughs as she puts her mug down and wraps both of her arms around me, and then she gives Jada and Dejah a hug. "Good morning, girls. I've missed you, and you're all looking stunning," she says., picking up a folder off her desk and handing it to me."I have all of your schedules right here."

"Thank you, Ms. May, and we've missed you just as much," I say.

"You already know we did, and you know we'll be back in here to come see you too," Dejah tells her.

"I know that's right. You girls have a good first day, and be good."

"We will!" we say in unison before walking back into the hallway.

I take my schedule out and hand Jada and Dejah theirs. This is the moment I've been waiting for. The outlook of my year depends solely on the classes listed on this piece of paper, and I'm hoping they're all the ones I hoped for during the summer. I take a good, long look and let out a sigh of relief. They didn't make any mistakes. My schedule consists of:

1. AP Freshman Composition

2. Art 3

Nutrition

3. Business Management

4. AP Calculus

5. Spanish 3

Lunch

6. College Algebra

7. AP Physics

8. AP U.S History

All AP classes including three college credit classes is exactly what I deserve. I worked my ass of my freshman and sophomore year, and I even went to community college during both summers so that I would be ahead. College is not an option for me. It's most definitely mandatory. My momma put me, Michael, and even Angel into the habit of working hard for what we want early, and I've been doing so ever since. Next year is going to be just as difficult, so I can't even think about slacking off any time soon.

Jada and Dejah's classes pretty much match mine with just different electives. I can't hang around people that don't choose to do something with themselves because their attitudes might rub off on me. My girls and I are determined to get scholarships with our academic success and extracurricular history. It's always been this way, and if any one of us starts lagging, then the others would get on their head real quick.

"My dad's going be too happy that I got in this law class. You know he still wants me to be a lawyer," Dejah says.

"Looks like me being the first to graduate in my family is really going to happen," Jada says. She doesn't come from an all too wealthy or educated family, but that's never stopped her. She wants to be a pediatrician, and I can see her becoming one with ease. Not only has she been taking medical classes online and at nearby community colleges, but she has the charismatic skills needed to deal with children, which is probably because she has three little brothers, two little sisters, and several cousins, nieces, and nephews that she helps take care of. Even though she doesn't really have a huge role model in her family when it comes to experiences with graduating and attending college, her family gives her a lot of support needed to help her get to that point and become the first family role model.