Chapter 2 (Saturday)

Korrine's POV

When I get to the area I heard Angel's voice coming from, I see her standing in front of the mall entrance, laughing, and talking, which makes me relax. But when I look around to see who she's talking to, my nerves rise again. She's standing with these hood boys named Marcus, Treyvon, and Xavier. I know Xavier personally because he's one of Michael's best friends, and he's always with him, but the other two I only know because they're all in the same gang, and we go to the same school. I don't know them like that, but I do know that they ain't no good. The fact that Marcus is running his hands through her hair is bugging me.

"What is this?" I ask, quickly grabbing Angel's hand and pulling her towards me. "Why did you run off like that?"

"You told me to spin on the sidewalk, and I'm on the sidewalk."

I overhear the guys laugh like somebody cracked a joke, and looking up, I catch sight of Marcus's smirk. "You think this is funny? Why is she over here with you?" I ask, walking up on him.

He just lets out a short laugh. "Damn, what's the deal, ma?" he asks, obviously not being the least bit fazed by my closeness.

I glare at him instead of answering his question.

"You need to chill 'cause I didn't even do nothing to shawty. You came too soon," he jokes, laughing, and his little crew joins in, even Xavier.

I can feel myself starting to lose my temper, and I shove him as hard as I can before I can think twice about it. Not that it makes a difference because he barely moves. "What were you touching here for?"

"Ma, I was just playing with you. Learn how to take a joke. And all I was doing was touching her hair, so like I said, you need to chill," he says. His voice is calm, but that doesn't mean it's a good thing.

"Yeah, Ren. You know I wouldn't let nothing happen to my nigga's littler sister. I saw her and told her to come here 'cause I didn't see nobody with her. He was just making her laugh," X explains.

I understand where he's coming from about her being by herself, but Marcus's smart jokes and remarks aren't okay. "Alright, and that's fine, but I'm not about to sit here and let him crack jokes about him doing stuff to her," I say. "We're not friends or even close to being acquaintances, so don't play about something as serious as my sister with me."

I can tell they're all shocked by my boldness. I guarantee no female has ever talked to him the way I just did. Barely any of his homies would even dare do it, but I don't care. I love my little sister to death. I don't play any types of games when it comes to her, especially since she's still so young. He has no right to joke about her like that.

He steps forwards, taking it as his turn to close the gap between us, and leans down to my ear. "Actually, we are acquaintances. I know who you are, and I know that you damn sure know who I am. So you got to be out yo' damn mind to talk to me like that. Are you crazy?" he asks, getting angry.

My heart starts racing. Not because I'm scared or anything. To be honest, I don't know what it is, but something about our closeness is putting me on edge. I would step back, but my brother always tells me that's a sign of weakness, so I'm going to stand my ground. "Actually, you're right. I do know who you are, but I don't know who the hell you think you are raising your voice at me. You obviously know who my brother is." I don't need anybody sticking up for me, and I damn sure don't need to use my brother to fight my battles, but if he's disrespecting me, then he needs to know he's disrespecting my brother too, and that's another altercation he'll have to deal with.

He scoffs, not breaking our eye contact. "You think I'm scared of that nigga?"

I start to fix my mouth to tell him that he is, but I look down. Not because of his strong glare, but because something is pulling on my shorts. It's Angel. She's looking up at me with a bored expression and pulling me towards the mall doors. "Can we go now, Ren?" she whines.