Chapter 6 (Monday-August 17th)

Korrine's POV

I thank God when the last bell of the day finally rings. I'm so happy that the school day is over that I don't even know what to do with myself. It's been a whole week since the first day of school, and the weekend went by too quickly. Mondays are always a drag, so I'm not surprised that today seems like it's been the longest day so far. The feel of the New Year is over, which means classes are already starting to get into full lessons and assign work. My AP teachers are not playing, but I can handle it.

I've basically been trying to get ahead as much as possible like the scholar that I am, but other than work, I've just been hanging with my friends and chilling. Marcus has been ignoring me, obviously because he's still mad about the thing with Jessie. That was a whole week ago, so he should be over it by now. Then again, I should be happy because a whole week, plus the weekend, has passed without him bothering me and blowing up my phone, but it's actually getting on my nerves. It doesn't help that he goes with Trey to his locker every morning. All he does is mean mug me without saying a word the whole time. I've also seen him hugged up and flirting with all kinds of females around here. They crush on him hard, and he gladly entertains them.

"Hello...chica? You don't hear us?" Jada asks, waving her hand in front of my face.

"I know it's Monday, but what's up with you?" Dejah asks, putting her hands on her hips.

I let out a sigh and shake my head. "Nothing is wrong with me. I was just thinking."

Dejah grabs my arm to stop me from walking ahead of her. "Uh-uh, don't do that. You think we're dumb? You know we know when something is up with you."

There's no use in keeping stuff from them when they're just going to nag me as much as possible to get it out of me. I grab both of their wrists and pull them towards my locker. Opening it to put my books away, I take a quick look around to make sure Marcus and Trey aren't around us. "There's been something on my mind all damn day," I finally say.

"The way you looking around it seems like you've been thinking about someone. Am or right or what?" Dejah asks.

"Yes, and it's Marcus," I mumble.

Jada shakes her head and smirks. And it's that I told you so smirk, which she very well can do because she predicted this relationship between Marcus and I would go much further than that mall altercation. "I knew you would be falling for him. You're too cliché, honey."

Dejah raises her eyebrows and crosses her arms over her chest. "Wait...that street thug Marcus? Why would you be falling for him? What am I missing here?"

"It's really a long story, and I forgot to tell you. Are you coming over?"

"Nah, I have to do some stuff for my mom, and I don't feel like being bothered by Michael today. I'm trying to avoid him."

Jada laughs. "I don't understand why. That ignoring each other bullshit never works, but I have to get out of here and get home to those kids. Love y'all." She hugs the both of us and then rushes out to the parking lot.

"You know she's right, right? All he's going to do is pop up at your house tripping."

She shrugs her shoulders and rolls her eyes. She knows it's true, and she can't say I didn't warn her.

"Well, let's get out of here now because I bet he's already tripping that we're taking too long, but you're not going to believe how Marcus been acting," I say, turning around, attempting to walk out of the school, but I come in contact with a hard chest. I almost fall flat on my butt until the person wraps their arms around my waist.