19:

Chapter 19

Luke Taylor's POV-

North asked for me to sneak into the Sorenson house. Sang needed an extra set of clothes, and it wasn't as if I was worried about being caught.

I had been breaking into safes and sneaking past security cameras since Uncle found me at thirteen.

Back then, I was the face of a small-time ring of bank robbers, tall for my age and over-confident. I strategized robberies across several western states, moving south until I finally was busted by the Academy.

They helped me locate my uncle. Truth be told, I never knew I had any family until that day. My mother abandoned me, and I suppose that was her M.O. because two years later we tracked down North living with Silas in Greece.

I snuck in through the downstairs sliding glass door that connected to the Sorenson's living room. People rarely locked them, and the door slid open with ease. I stepped in, adjusting to the natural sounds of the house.

No one exactly told me why Sang ended up with North tonight, but if her bruises from the other day were any indication, I wasn't going to argue.

I preferred Sang with us anyhow. We were family now.

We could better protect her when she was close.

I snuck up to her bedroom, going to the back of her closet where she told North she stashed her clothes from her mall trip with Gabriel. I suppose I only needed to grab a single set of clothes, but an urge overcame me.

I grabbed a whole bag.

Just in case.

And headed for the stairs, catching the tail end of a conversation from the parent's bedroom.

"-getting my money?" came the mother's voice. "Yes, Paul knows. He's away taking care of another one. Yes, we're absolutely sure. We don't care what happens to her-"

She must be on the phone.

I shifted past the bedroom door. Who the heck is Paul? And who would Sang's mom need to talk to at three in the morning?

I shook my head, knowing I'd need to speak with Victor about putting wiretaps in the house as I slipped out the sliding glass door and disappeared down the street.

***

Kota Lees POV-

Conveniently, I had spent the night at Nathan's so we were in the same place when the gunshots sounded down the street.

BAM!

BAM!

We also had a front row seat to see North driving like a maniac down the road, yanking Sang into his arms as another man dragged a dead body into the woods behind Nathan's house.

Nathan and I shared a look as he retrieved his father's hand gun.

I called Owen, but he didn't answer.

Nathan had the gun and handed me a baseball bat. "Let's stick together."

"You know how to use that thing?"

"Dad used to take me shooting every weekend before he...you know...became a douche bag." Nathan smiled slightly, his red hair all sticking up on one side.

I grabbed my sweatshirt, following him out the back door towards where a dark shadow expertly dug a grave.

Another man, unmoving, was propped against a tree.

"Hey," I called.

The shadow didnt slow, tossing another shovel full of dirt over his shoulder. "I don't have time for you," he muttered. His lack of care struck me silent.

Luckily, Nathan hadn't lost his voice. "Are you Academy? As far as we're aware, only the Blackboure team is working the Charleston case."

The man stopped digging, thrusting the shovel into the earth. "Do I look Academy?" He motioned to his rifle near the dead man. "Your little group of school boys need help often. You take on...problems...beyond your level training. So, here I am."

"And who are you with?"

The man stepped forward, revealing a face carved of stone. Brown curls of hair. Dark eyes. He was built like a freaking Marine.

Massive.

"Consider us mercenaries. We report to Eli, and thats all I'll say, so either leave or get a fucking shovel."

My cellphone went off then. Owen's name lit up the screen.

"Mr. Blackbourne?" I answered, putting the phone to my ear. "What is going on? There's this guy trying to bury a body behind Nathan's house and he says he works for someone named Eli and that he's a mercenary for the Academy."

Owen sighed heavily. "There's a lot going on here in Charleston, Mr. Lee. Let the man go about his business. I'll reach out to Dr. Roberts to see if I can find out about this Eli person. If you can, please reach out to Victor and see if he can get working on surveillance for the Sorenson house."

"Alright...so I really should just let this guy bury a body in Nathan's backyard?"

"Mr. Lee..."

Nathan made a face at me, tucking his handgun into his belt.

"Okay then. I'll see you at school tomorrow, right?" I pressed as the mercenary began to dig again.

"Yes, Mr. Lee, and before you ask, yes, we will be having a family meeting with Miss Sorenson."

The line disconnected.

I gave the mercenary a fleeting look. "Please make sure you bury that guy well I don't need anybody thinking Nathan is a murderer."

The man flashed me a dark glare. "Kid, you do understand that I dispose of people for a living, don't you?"

***

Sang Sorenson's POV-

I woke up to the smell of chocolate chip pancakes and Luke's smiling face.

"Good morning, Sugar. Did you sleep well?"

I flinched before remembering I was nearly kidnapped and North brought me to his place. I rubbed a hand down my face. "Holy hell," I rasped.

My voice was still wretched and I winced, meeting Luke's gentle brown eyes. "Hey, do you like pancakes? North is showering so I was able to sneak in chocolate chips."

I smiled. "You're so awesome. Chocolate chip pancakes are my favorite."

He grinned, handing me a plate as I sat up in bed.

As we devoured them, North returned, drying off his dark hair as he watched us on his bed.

"You sleep well, Sang?" he gruffed.

I nodded.

"North, she sounds like she's losing her voice." Luke finished his pancakes and took my plate with his.

I grimaced at the observation. After what North did for me last night, the least I could do was come clean...

"My mom...she uh gave me something that burned my throat," I admitted, avoiding their gazes.

North dialed Dr. Green as Luke sat next to me on the bed, putting his arm around me as he leaned his head on my shoulder.

"Sang baby, Dr. Green wants to know what your mother made you drink."

I glanced up. "Lemon and vinegar."

North relayed the information to Dr. Green. "Sang, he wants you to eat ice chips and he'll take a look when we get to school."

"Tell him thank you," I managed.