7:

Chapter 7

Sang Sorenson's POV-

I took a breath of courage stepping into my first hour math classroom.

The math teacher, Mrs. Johnson, was a tiny woman with a wrinkled face. I handed her my late slip, taking the empty seat behind Kota.

The moment my butt touched down, two giant feet came under my desk, resting on either side of my sneakers. How uncomfortable.

I attempted to focus on the teacher's words, but I had missed most of the class and she was already handing out practice sheets.

When Mrs. Johnson gave permission to work in groups, Kota spun around, slapping his already finished worksheet onto my desk. "Want to buddy up, Sang?"

I laughed. "You're already done with it. That wouldn't be fair."

"Would you be my partner, then?" asked a deep voice. I couldn't place the accent. As I turned in my seat, I found myself looking up at a giant.

Holy heck.

He seriously had to be nearly eight feet in height, thickly muscled, dark hair, dark eyes...and I'd bet he could wield a two-handed greatsword with one hand... I blinked, realizing he was waiting for me to say something, and what came out had me wanting to smack myself. "You are enormous..."

The giant laughed, looking over my head to Kota. "Νομίζετε ότι έχω την τρομάξει?"

When confusion washed over Kota's face, the giant's laughs drifted to chuckles as he took my hand. Let go of my hand! His dark eyes peered into my soul. "Do I frighten you, Aggele?"

"Sang," I managed. "My name is Sang, not Aggele."

"Oh, yes it is, Aggele Mou, and my name is Silas Korba." He gave my hand a squeeze before letting go.

More like Ser Silas Korba, I thought, unable to shake the image of a giant warrior knight from my mind.

He smiled at my expression before looking down to his homework. "Start on number two, Aggele. You do evens, I'll do odds."

We completed our assignment in minutes. The math problems we were working through were part of a lesson I learned last year, and once I reached the bottom of the page, Ser Silas copied down my answers as I copied his.

BRRRRRINNNNGGGGG!

The sound of the bell had me leaping out from my seat. Damn my skittish nature! I cursed myself as I reached for my notebooks, but Ser Silas plucked the stack from my hands.

"Let me walk you to your next class, Aggele?"

I looked to Kota for assurance and he just smiled waving me on. Somehow it figured that he and Silas were friends. And Nathan. And Dr. Green.

Ser Silas did not say much as we walked, only using enough air to ask me which class I had next. He seemed pleased by the answer, as if he already knew a few of his friends would be in the class...

The giant left me at the door of the English room, and my heart squeezed a little when he looked back at me from down the hall. He smiled reassuringly, telling me without words that everything would be alright.

And then, without realizing it, I smiled back.

Inside the classroom, North and Luke sat by the far wall... an empty desk between them that I somehow knew was for me.