3:

Chapter 3

Sang Sorenson's POV-

  I checked myself in the mirror after slipping in through my bedroom window.

   The bandage on my forehead covered everything from my right eyebrow to my hairline.

   How did I lose my footing? I couldn’t remember. I hit my head pretty hard and it had brought on strange dreams. I was kidnapped by a blond monkey boy and a guy with glasses kept telling me he was going to have a doctor cut me open.

   I shivered.

   I hate nightmares.

   It was a good thing Gabriel found me. I could have gotten lost out in the woods. He bandaged me up, too...

   At least there were nice people here in Charleston... Part of me was very pleased Gabriel and I would be attending the same school.

   I would need to keep him a secret from Mother, but I could do that.

   He could just be a school friend.

   We wouldn’t ever hang out, but at least I would have someone to talk to in class… I mean, if we had any classes together.

   Alone in my room, I blushed. It was silly to get worked up over a guy I only just met, but his comment about my hair had got me. He wanted to cut my hair. For a split second after he made the comment, I thought he might be gay.

   The notion relieved me, but then I saw something else in his eye. He had a skill for style. I could see it in his clothes, down to the way he did his hair and tied his shoes. He saw I didn’t have that same ability and wanted to help.

   I looked down at my filthy clothes and began stripping them off. I wondered what Gabriel thought when he looked at me. An idiot, I realized. Some weirdo who likes to climb trees at midnight and fall on strangers. I sounded like a whore and looked like a garbage collector.

   I shook my hair free of pine needles before stripping down into my tank top and panties, tossing the dirty clothes into the hamper before sneaking across the hall and getting a quick shower.

   After that, sleep came instantly.

***

   I awoke at dawn, covered in a sheen layer of sweat, shaking violently. I wrapped my arms around my knees, sitting up.

   Nightmare.

   Another one.

   I took a breath, shaking my head, forcing myself awake. I did my senses count.

   I could see the walls of my new bedroom. I could smell the dew of the sweet grass outside my open window. I could taste...yuck...morning breath. I could feel the scratch of my old comforter around my shoulders, and I could hear...voices?

   I glanced at my alarm clock to see it was a quarter past four.

   Seriously? Who the heck is up?

   I had to check this out.

   I padded barefoot to my window to see a group of seven boys lined up in the front yard of the house kiddy corner from my own. A few of their faces looked painfully familiar...

   Anxiety hit me like a train.

   I had forgotten last night and my late night adventure.

    I fell out of a tree!