18:

Chapter 18

Sang Sorenson's POV-

2:38 A M

   I shot up in bed, heart thundering as I reached for the warm glass of water by my bedside. It soothed my throat.

   "This is bullshit," I gruffed, my own voice startling me. "I can speak--!"

   My voice cut out the louder I attempted to talk. "I can whisper," I cheered, grinning.

   I grabbed the cellphone to tell... I put the cellphone down. It's two in the morning. I shouldn't bother anyone.

   I rose from bed to stand at my window.

   A black car sat across the seat from our house. Windows tinted.

   I didn't recognize the vehicle and went back for the phone dialing the first number that popped up.

   "Hello," North's grumbly voice came through the speaker.

   "It's me," I whispered.

   "Sang, what the hell time is it? Is something wrong?"

   "There's some car parked outside my house. The windows are dark."

   He was moving around. "You haven't seen the car before?"

   "No."

   "Talk a little louder. I'm having trouble hearing you."

   "I can't. I lost my voice."

   "Okay," something slammed. "I'm on my way over. You just stay in your room."

   North disconnected the call.

   I watched the car across the street, wondering how long it had been parked there.

   As my alarm clock switched to 2:45 AM the passenger door opened wide, and a man dressed in black stepped out.

   He wore a hat, and the collar of his jacket hid most of his face...and he was walking towards the house.

   My house!

   A terrible calm settled over me as I realized with my injuries I couldn't call 911.

   They'd find out what Mother did.

   I slipped downstairs into the kitchen, moving through the darkness as someone fiddled with the lock on the front door.

   My fingers found a knife as the door creaked open and a beam of light cut across the living room.

   Shallow breaths passed my lips as I stood in shadow.

   The intruder's eyes hadn't adjusted yet. He didn't see me.

   I rounded the island as the man stepped further into the house, closing the door.

   He wore black gloves and black work boots. His face held lines visible in the moonlight streaming through the far window.

   He made his way for the stairs...

   Marie! Oh my god!

   I can't just let him--

   "Hey!" I hissed through the darkness like a creature from the night. "Get the fuck out of my house!"

   The man spun, the whites of his eyes visible, a gun in hand.