11:

Chapter 11

Sang Sorenson's POV-

   I sat in the living room with my hands digging into my sweatpants as I awaited the doctor. With my mother home. Death wish? Maybe.

   My body was bruised so badly I could scarcely keep conscious.

   Every car that passed had me on edge. Was that Dr. Green? No. What about that one? No. Would he be stupid enough to ring the doorbell? No.

   Three quiet knocks sounded on the front door, so soft that I wouldn’t have heard them if I had not been sitting so close by. I peeked in our driveway. No car. None on the street either… Did he walk here?

   Slowly I forced myself to my feet, ignoring the sharp pain behind my right kneecap. Dr. Green was in the doorway. He didn’t smile as he leaned against the doorframe in jeans and a purple tissue tee that had a Nirvana emblem across the front. A black backpack was slung over his shoulder.

   I didn’t miss the way his eyes flicked down my body in the most clinical of senses. “May I come in?”

   “What are you, a vampire?” I couldn’t manage a smile. “And what’s with that getup? Now you really don’t look like a doctor…”

   “Owen said I shouldn’t barge in.” Dr. Green slipped past me, hands sliding into his back pockets as he looked around. “Not a bad place.” He picked up a framed photo from the mantle below the mounted flat screen.

   Marie’s eighth grade school photo.

   It was the only framed photo in our home. Dr. Green set it down. “No pictures of you?”

   Did that matter? I bit my lip.

   He made his way to the couch. “Let me take a look at you.”

My feet didn’t budge as I cast a wary glance towards Mother’s bedroom. All she would have to do is open her door and she would see us. “My mom’s sleeping down here…”

   “You’re nervous?”

   I shrugged, but the doctor rose to his feet. I tried to ignore how good he smelled as he pressed a hand to the small of my back.

   “Upstairs then, Pookie. That mark on your face isn’t pretty, are there any worse spots?” he asked as I slowly made my way up the staircase.

   The black spots were back in my eyes as pain cut through my middle. I sucked in a quiet breath.

   “I need to stop.”

   “Sang…”

   I squeezed my eyes closed. “Just one sec.”

   The dizzying pain passed a few moments later and when I opened my eyes Dr. Green was really close. Like his face was right in front of mine and I flinched. And he frowned before taking up my hand and leading me to my bedroom once I told him it was the last one at the end of the hall. He shut my bedroom door behind us.

   “Sang, sweetheart, how many fingers am I holding up?” Dr. Green held up two fingers in front of my face as we both sat on my bed.

   “Two.” I pushed his hand away. It hurt to bring my arms forward. “It’s really painful to breathe in.” I lifted the shirt slightly to reveal the edge of the purple nightmare that was my stomach.

   And then Dr. Green’s hands were there, tugging the shirt up higher and gently laying me back. “Have you taken anything for this?”

   “Advil, but it’s not enough…and there’s dark spots in my eyes when I move too fast.”