Finding out, and transferring

I kissed Conners cheek. And then my eyes venture to my drawing and gape at it. And then it closes, I look at Conner. Oh how cute he was.  

“You were mad and you had a reason to be.” He says to me. He stuffs the sketchpad into my backpack, and stands up brushing the grass off himself. He holds his hand out, I smile at him and take his hand.

“Not anymore.”

*****

The rest of the day dragged by, I kept touching my mouth. I still felt like his lips were pressed against mine, but it was a figure of my imagination. I frown and look up at the clock 3:04 pm. I wait ever so patiently in my desk for the bell to ring. I wonder what Conner and I are going to do after school. Millions of questions race through my mind. Then the bell goes off. People scrambled to get their papers and books together and then left the class in a hurry. Walking, well practically running out of the classroom. Someone stops me. I turn and see that it was only Conner, and grab his hand rushing out the door ready for the night. I was jittery, I guess you know why right? Well DUH because I am with Conner. I think I am falling head over heels for him. Wait, guys can say that too right?!

“What do you want to do tonight?” I ask him.

“I just want to go home and think things over.” Says a very confused Conner.

“Ok.” We walk our separate ways.

*****

“Hey mother!” I say happily.

“Hello darling, how was school?” I walk into the kitchen, if I was ever in any type of trouble or had a curious question was where I could find her. I see that she is sitting at the table, reading a newspaper, and drinking a glass of orange juice. Ok remind me to get a cup of that later.

“It was fine. Probably the best day yet!” I squeal with excitement.

“Oh really?” She raises an eyebrow. “How so?” She asks with curiosity.

I then notice that my gayness is starting to creep up on me, and shake it off. “Uhh, well we are starting to read Romeo and Juliet.”

“Nice.” She says smiling. “I am glad that you find that story interesting.I am going to start on dinner so why don’t you go and play a video game or something?” Well... I guess I couldn’t complain. My mother was the best...well that is until she finds out that her only son is gay. She won’t find out anytime soon. Smiling I walk down to my room and turn on my game system. Shooting noises blare out of my television set as my mother called me upstairs to eat. Running upstairs to the kitchen, I slide in a chair.

“These are some really nice drawing Drew.” My eyes get wide. Oh shit! The picture I drew of Conner and I kissing was still in there. I just sit there in silence, even if I did try to stop my mom from looking in my sketch book she would keep it, because she always senses when I am trying to keep something a secret from her. I wait for the reaction and just stare down at the food on my plate, steak, mashed potatoes, and carrots. It actually looks pretty good. That sketch was only on the fifteenth page. Wondering why she hadn’t said anything I turn around to see her hand over her mouth. “Oh my...god.” She whispers. The sketch pad drops to the floor, and she grabs the phone dialing someone. I mean what?! She just found out that her son had drawn a picture of two guys kissing, and she is calling someone?! “Caroline. I want you to get over her immediately, I have something to discuss with you. Oh, and bring Conner.” She hung up the phone and left the room without another word. My stomach felt as if it were in knots, so I pushed the once very tasty looking food away from me and just rest my head on the table, thinking about what would happen to Conner and I’s future. Waiting for what seemed forever, the doorbell rings. I hear my mother greeting them with hellos. This wouldn’t end well. “Drew get in here.” My mother says harshly. I notice that she had already picked up the pad, and has it in her hands, once again.

Walking in the room, I see everyone sitting comfortably on the couch. Conner is sitting on the end of the couch. Instead of sitting by everyone. I sit down in the loveseat scoping out everyones emotionless face. My mother plucks through the pages taking her time, and slams it down on the table in front of Caroline and Conner.

“Explain why my son is drawing bizarre scenes of two guys kissing!” My mother shouts. I clear my throat getting ready to talk, but Conner beats me.

“Because of me.” He looks down at the ground shameful. “I kissed Drew. And now he doesn’t know what is feelings are. I was selfish, I wanted him to see that he would be better off without Jenn.” My mother turns to me.

“Is that true?” I want to nod and say yes. But... that wasn't the case. I love Conner. That kiss was NOT messing with my emotions, it was showing me who I truly was. And then Conner glares at me, he knows he wants me to lie. So I nod, I start to feel my eyes tear up.

“I can’t have my son hanging out with your ...gay son.” My mom chokes on the “g” word. How pitiful of her. If she knew the truth, I would be dead to her.

Caroline looks down at the ground ashamed. She knew that her son was gay ever since he was 13. “Ok. I will have him go to a different school.”

The words churned in my brain. My lovely boyfriend...wouldn’t be going to same school as me anymore... And that was how my night ended.