Chapter 24 - Family

Oliver's POV

Wednesday

I was sitting next to Evelyn as she laid in the hospital bed, two needles sticking out of her arm, something plastic over her mouth and nose, helping her breathe, and a small metal circle with wires attached over her heart, making sure her heart beat was stable.

Our baby was wrapped up in a blanket in my arms. There was a makeshift cot in the room too, although I hadn't yet put her into it. I didn't want to let her go.

I used one hand to hold her on my lap, and with the other I was clutching Evelyn's hand in mine.

The doctors said she should have woken up by now. They didn't say that directly to my face of course, but I had heard them saying it outside the room, with their low, secretive voices.

Then they had come in and told me again that Evelyn was going to be fine.

They were lying straight to my face.

The door opened, and Marilyn came back in with two coffees. He had been here the whole time too, although the others were either staying at my house or in a hotel nearby. He wordlessly set my coffee down on the table next to my chair. I thanked him with a nod.

A few minutes later, the door opened again. It was a doctor this time.

"We've been studying the activity in her brain and body." He started, his expression downcast. "And I'm very sorry to say this, but the chances of her waking up are dropping little by little. There isn't anything we can do I'm afraid."

"There must be something." Marilyn said. "Evelyn is a daughter, a granddaughter, a friend, a girlfriend, a co-worker, and now she's a mother too. How could you say that?"

The doctor gulped. "I'm sorry sir. It's my job to keep you updated."

"I know." Marilyn sighed. "I'm not angry at you." He chuckled painfully. "Just at the news your delivering."

"All we can say is keep doing what your doing. Stay by her bedside. She needs support to pull through." He sighed sorrowfully, and then left the room, closing the door quietly.

Right on cue, the baby began to cry.

I picked up the bottle of milk, and held it to the baby's lips. Slowly the milk was drained from the bottle. When it had finished, the baby kept quiet, although not falling asleep. It's tiny eyes darted around the room.

Marilyn held the baby again, as I stood up to focus my attention on Evelyn.

I held her hand tighter and spoke to her. "Wake up, Evelyn. I love you. Everyone does, and everyone's really worried about you. Our baby really needs her mom." I choked out my last sentence. "And so do I. Evelyn, I-I need you. I can't do this without you. Please just give me a sign, love."

For a moment I wondered if I was overreacting. I mean, it wasn't as if she had been in a coma for very long.

Instantly I shoved that thought away. With everything the doctors had said, with my love for Evelyn, with the possibility of our baby being motherless looming over my head, if anything I was under-reacting.

Suddenly her face twitched.

My eyes widened. "She moved!" I exclaimed. "Get the fucking doctors, she moved!"

Marilyn didn't leave the room, instead pressing a small red button by Evelyn's beside. As he did that, I tried to get her to move again. I poked and prodded her, talking to her, telling her I loved her, and talking about our baby.