Chapter 23 - Tell Me It's Not True

Oliver's POV

Sunday

It had been almost an hour now. An hour since they had ushered Evelyn into theater, and twenty minutes since our support group had turned up. Since there was so many of us they had sent us to a private waiting room, although it took a lot for them to get me away from that door. My brother had to drag me away.

Everyone was worried sick.

Marilyn couldn't stop pacing, My mother couldn't stop crying, and everyone else was just staring at the ground, not even bothering to talk.

Nothing they could say could make it better.

They couldn't take away the fact that meters away, Evelyn was being cut open, and they were taking our baby out, dead or alive. What if Evelyn died? I couldn't stop these horrible thoughts. But I'd heard people often died from C-sections.

A doctor came into the room and Marilyn ran at them, looking as if he was going to bowl him over. He stopped right in front of him and stared him dead in the eyes expectantly, as we were all doing too. If he said either of them were dead, I was going to kill him. It wasn't even his fault. But I wanted to kill him.

"The baby is fine." He said. "The nurses are cleaning it now, but you can come in and see your baby in a few minutes."

"What about Evelyn?" I blurted, standing up.

Even the doctor who had probably gone through this a million times couldn't meet my eyes. "Evelyn is ... unresponsive. She fell into a coma after the C-section."

"No." I murmured. "No, no, no. That can't be right. Your joking. Tell me it's not true." My voice cracked, and tears slid down my cheeks. I was falling apart at the seams.

"I'm sorry sir. But she is stable, and we believe she is going to be fine."

I hoped they were right. I couldn't live without Evelyn. I would be nothing without her by my side. Nothing. She was my whole world, and she couldn't disappear from the picture as soon as our child had been painted in.

"When can I see my baby." I demanded, wiping my tears away as I tried to look sane.

Just as I said that, a nurse came through and said something to the man. He gave me a small smile. "Right now if you like. Follow me."

We all left the waiting room, anxiously entering a whole different ward. There was the faint sounds of babies crying everywhere. We were led into a room, and there, in a nurse's arms, was a baby. Not just any baby. My baby.

I ran forwards and the nurse carefully passed the baby to me, as I cradled it like a porcelain doll my arms. My eyes were crying for Evelyn, but my mouth was smiling at the sight of our baby. I planted a gentle kiss on the baby's forehead. The others didn't dare ask to hold the baby yet, knowing I needed my time with it.

"I love you." I cooed, tears falling from my eyes. "You can see your mom soon too, we just have to wait for her to w-wake up." Then I was trembling as tears started to blur my vision. I quickly wiped them away on my sleeve.

"Marilyn." I said, and he appeared at my side almost instantly, his eyes begging for a hold.

I gently passed the baby to him, and his expression melted.

Everyone took turns holding the baby, until finally it was my turn again. I held it for a little longer until the nurse interrupted me. "The baby needs to be fed. We have breast milk, if you would like to do the honours."

"Of course." I said.

Evelyn was meant to feed our baby though.

As soon as that thought came into my head, pain washed over my heart again. It hurt that she wasn't here to see our baby right now.