Chapter 21 - If Shit Happens, Does Life Always Go On?

Oliver's POV

Seven Months Later - Saturday

Evelyn was so big now. She waddled around like a penguin whenever she had to get up, but it was rare that she ever had to move, as I never let her go far. Her due date was so close now.

I had been doing everything I could; reading books about pregnancy and parenting, setting up a room and buying things for our baby, satisfying Evelyn's weird cravings; even if it meant going down to the store and buying a jar of pickles at three in the morning.

Although whenever I asked for advice – mainly from Marilyn – everyone said; nothing can prepare you for this.

But it never hurt to try. I needed as much knowledge as I could get.

I had to feel like I was in control of the situation; when really I had no clue what I was doing.

Right now, I was just placing a few teddies into the cot we had bought for the baby. We had kept everything neutral coloured, as we didn't yet know the gender; we planned to do the whole cake thing and video it. I looked around the room, smiling. It was perfect.

The walls had been repainted, with the permission of the landlord, to be creamy white with an evergreen tree covering most of the largest wall. On the ceiling I had placed dozens of glow in the dark star stickers. For furniture we had the cot, a bookshelf, a rocking chair, a toy box, and a chest of drawers. There was a fluffy mat on the floor.

The whole place was cosy and homely; and I hoped our baby would love it as much as we did.

"It looks amazing." Evelyn said from the doorway, surprising me.

I turned around to see her there, and moved forwards, kissing her as I rested my hand on her baby bump. "It does. What are you doing up?"

"You know I don't like staying still for long." She replied.

As we walked back into the lounge, I observed her pained expression. She wasn't having a contraction. It was just her feet. She was bearing to much weight to walk around, and if she was on her feet for to long they got swollen.

I made her sit down and prop her feet up on my lap, so I could give her a foot rub. As I did so she smiled, laying back and resting her head on a pillow. Suddenly her eyes jolted open. "Awe! The baby's kicking again!" She exclaimed.

Excitedly, I leant down and pressed my ear to her stomach. I could feel it.

"We have a feisty baby." I chuckled.

"That we do." Evelyn winced as a contraction started up.

I held her hand and she clutched onto me tightly. I hated the contractions; seeing the hurt expressions on her face made my heart shatter. Sometimes I even wished I was the one bearing our baby, just so she didn't have to feel any pain. At least it would all be worth it in the end.

The contraction was gone in a few minutes. Evelyn closed her eyes again with a sigh, still loosely clutching my hand.

"Have you thought of any good names yet?" I asked.

"A few. Have you?" She returned the question.

I had found myself thinking about names a lot recently. It was a big thing to name someone; to label them for the rest of their lives. Evelyn had already insisted that our baby had my last name. As a result, I had said we would have Evelyn's last name as one of the baby's middle names.

"I've thought about it, but I haven't come up with any good ones." I replied.

"I was thinking Kellin for a boy, and Layla for a girl." She said.

As soon as the names left her mouth, I fell in love with them. "I like those names." I mused. "I could definitely get used to calling our baby Kellin Manson Sykes."

She poked me with her foot. "Who says it's going to be a boy?" She said playfully.

"My instinct." I grinned. "I don't care either way. If it is a girl, I should have no trouble scaring off all the nasty teenage boys."

"You were a nasty teenage boy once." Evelyn giggled. "But my dad still hasn't managed to scare you away."

I smiled. "I know. The one boy that doesn't get scared away, is always the right one."

"Now that, I can agree with." Evelyn said, as she sat up to kiss me. We pressed our foreheads together after the lingering kiss and sighed. This was all going so well.

But I knew pregnancies didn't always go the way they were planned.

Shit happens, life goes on. But sometimes shit happens, and life doesn't go on.

With that thought in mind, I touched the chain of my necklace, almost full with charms by now. It was the one I had gotten to match Evelyn's bracelet on her birthday. I hoped we could continue putting charms on it, forever. Both of us, soon to be three of us. Alive and well. 

__________

Hopefully everything goes well for them. But will it...? Muahahaha...