Chapter 3 - Goofball

Evelyn's POV

Five Days Later - Monday

I woke up to the sound of my father knocking on my door. I groaned, pressing my head deeper into my pillow and pulling the blankets tighter around me. 

Last night, Oliver and I had said we would keep our talk short, since we had our first day (of our last year) in school tomorrow, but that resolve had worn down quickly. We ended up talking until the early hours of the morning. Just as we had the night before.

And the night before.

And of course, the first time I had properly talked to him, just a few days ago. 

My dad opened the door, sighing in frustration. "Come on Eve! Your seventeen! Should I really be waking you up for school?" I wasn't sure if my ears were deceiving me, or if I could hear Oliver laughing from his bedroom. 

No, I was sure he was laughing, as I saw my father's eyes dart over there suspiciously. The laughter cut immediately. 

"Hey. That guy was looking into your room." He stated. "You need to close your curtains more often."

"He's my friend." I replied. 

"Oh, is he now?" My father said, almost amused. "Just your friend? Just because he saved us fro those protesters, it doesn't mean he's good enough for my baby."

My face tinted red. At that point; I couldn't even think about Oliver in that way. Ironically enough, my dad was the first one who had put the idea of being more than friends with Oliver into my head. 

"Come on. Get up." He said a few seconds later when I didn't reply. 

I still didn't move. "Five more-" My sentence was cut off as my dad grabbed my feet, pulling me out of bed and onto the floor with a thump. "Minutes." I finished flatly. 

"More like, five more minutes until the bus." I heard Oliver call from his room. "You should hurry up."

As soon as Oliver told me to hurry up, I was on my feet instantly. My dad shook his head, pacing out of my room and going downstairs. I chuckled, closing my curtains so I could get dressed. 

There wasn't much time, so I didn't allow my brain to fret over my appearance to much. I just found whatever was clean. Surprisingly enough, my outfit wasn't earth-shatteringly awful. I was wearing a simple black shirt that displayed the moon, some shorts, mesh stockings, and my favourite pair of gothic boots. 

Oliver was already done getting ready for school, so he amused himself watching me hurry along with my makeup. 

"Done!" I exclaimed to myself as I looked into the mirror. 

"Great. Meet me... at your door?" Oliver asked unsurely. 

I sighed with relief. "Yes please. I have no idea where the bus stop is."

With that, I closed my window, slung my bag over my shoulder, and ran out of my room. My dad seemed anxious to let me go even though I had been going to school since the age of five. He was acting as if it was my first day of high school. 

"What's he doing here?" My dad asked as I opened the door, Oliver leaning against the railing of our porch. 

"Don't be so rude." I scolded him. "We're just walking to the bus stop."

Meanwhile, Oliver was looking awkward, looking down to avoid my father's stony gaze. Oliver and I had only just become friends a few days ago. Did he really think I of all people would get with someone after a few days of friendship?

"Well, goodbye to you too!" He called as I walked out the door. 

I rolled my eyes. "Goodbye dad!" 

For a moment or two we walking in comfortable silence, before we settled into conversation. I found it was so easy to talk to him. He had this thing about him that made me feel like I could tell him my deepest darkest secrets, even though we hadn't met that long ago. 

"We have to run or we won't make it to the bus." Oliver said as he quickly checked the time on his phone. 

"I hate running for buses." I replied with a groan. 

"Alright." His eyes sparkled mischievously. "Don't run for the bus. Just pretend your racing me."

With that he took off. 

"Hey!" I laughed as I stated to chase after him. "Wait up!"

"That's not the point of a race!" He yelled back. 

We ended up making it, just as the bus was about to drive away. The doors to the bus flung open mechanically. We didn't notice everyone staring at us, as we caught our breath, still laughing. 

Suddenly I noticed the looks I was getting. 

My face burned red, and I looked down to the floor as I shuffled toward the nearest empty seat. I assumed Oliver would have other friends to sit with on the bus; but maybe he didn't, as he sat down next to me instead.

"I won." He said with a smug grin.

"I won." I mimicked him. 

He pouted. "But I got here first."

"But I got on the bus first." Being the gentleman he was, he had claimed it was always 'lady's first' and let me get on before him, sealing my victory. 

"Okay, fine. You won." Oliver smiled. 

For the duration of the bus ride we couldn't stop talking. But I also couldn't stop worrying. Would Oliver ditch me as soon as we got to the school? Would he try introducing me to his other friends? Was this where our friendship would end; as just neighbors?

Oliver was the first friend I had found in a long time. Could you really blame me for worrying so much? I was always one to trust and grow attached quickly; so I didn't want to lose this goofball.