Chapter 2 - Evelyn

Oliver's POV

Tuesday

I got home later that night, having gone out to see a few friends, after the incident with the girl in the Chinese takeout. I had come back earlier than usual. I found my thoughts were getting distracted, and I couldn't quite keep up with what my friends were saying. 

I had to leave before they realized I was thinking about a girl...

It wasn't in the way one would think; the typical, douchebag way of thinking about girls, saving mental notes of what they looked like and jerking off - no. I was more intrigued. There had been Christian protesters outside their house. 

Why? What had they done against their so called 'God?' What had she done?

I had so many questions for someone I had only come into contact with twice. Although, I had a feeling it would occur more often; seeming as she was my neighbor. 

Without a doubt she would be going to my high school. I had no idea what year she was though; as she was quite a small person. Part of me hoped she was my age. But  a bigger part of me was dead certain she was at least two years younger than me, by her looks. 

I was not going to lie to myself; she was definitely attractive. Ebony hair. Pale skin. Big eyes. Arched eyebrows. Cupid's bow lips. 

But she was way out of my league, that was for sure. 

Maybe if I had any game, I would have tried something with her, but I was no good at flirting or anything of the sort. 

For a good hour I sat there pondering over the girl. She was right next door. I wondered what she would do, if she could hear my thoughts. If I could broadcast things into her mind's eye. I would probably send her a picture of the Chinese takeout place, where we had our second interaction at. 

I stood up and paced over to my window. I opened the curtains that I hadn't opened for a few months, and unlatched the window too. It was dark, but there was a light streaming from the window opposite mine.

What was the bet it was hers?

I placed my elbows on the windowsill, and then cupped my chin in my hands as I gazed over at her house. Why was I doing this? It wasn't something I would ever normally do. This was to weird, even for me. 

Coming to that conclusion, I was about to close my window, when a vaguely familiar voice piped up. 

"What? No hello?" She asked, in the same playful tone I had used back at the Chinese place. She peeked her head out of her window nervously.

"H-Hey!" I stuttered, surprised. She pretended she didn't notice; so I gratefully pretended it never happened. 

"Thanks for today. With the protesters." She said shyly. "We get that a lot. That's the first time anyone's ever helped though."

Now that she had brought it up, it would be easy for me to slip my first question in. "It's fine. But why were they there? If you don't mind me asking."

For a moment she didn't respond, moving to sit on her windowsill with her legs out the window, as if she were preparing to tell a long story. "My father and I are satanists..." She trailed off. "And my dad, he's... well known. To say the least."

Her dad. Maybe that was why almost his whole face had been concealed when he was at that Chinese place. He had been wearing a big jacket that reached up to his mouth, sunglasses, and a hat too. I'd thought nothing of it when I'd first seen him; until now.

"What's his name?" I asked. It was a long shot; of all the famous people there was in the world, what made me think I would know him? I was deceiving myself. I just wanted to know more about her. 

"Marilyn Manson."

My heart stopped. Marilyn Manson? If I were in a comic book right now, my mouth would be agape, and my hair would be standing up with shock. But I kept myself calm on the outside. She probably got that reaction a lot; and I didn't want to annoy her; or make her think I was trying to be friends with her just because of her dad.

Wait? Was I going to try making friends with her..?

Of course. How could I help myself? There was just something about her that drew me in, but for the moment, I passed it off as curiosity. It wasn't because of her dad; I wasn't even a huge Marilyn Manson fan. I'd just heard of him, and had listened to a few of his songs. 

"Oh. I think I know who he is." I said casually. She seemed grateful for my lack of a reaction. "Anyway, are you going to Stocksbridge high?" The topic change relieved her. 

"Yup! I'm in my last year." She replied. "You?"

I smiled. "I'm in my last year too."

"Cool. So what's it like there?"

For the next hour or so, I told her about the high school, and dished out the dirt on our classmates. She told me about her old high school. I couldn't help but feel sorry for her, as it would pretty much be the same here too. Except maybe this time she could have a friend.

I could be that friend.

We were getting along well, and we seemed to share a lot of the same interests. Why the hell not?

"Oh! You should listen to Lorna Shore!" She exclaimed excitedly when we were recommending each other music. 

Most of the bands I'd told her she had known, and the ones she had told me I had no clue even existed. She knew a lot of the bands that were under the radar; the good bands that needed attention but didn't get it. 

"Okay. I will." I said as I noted them down to my long list. 

The girl yawned, and her eyes drooped. "I think I'm going to go to bed. It was nice talking to you, though." I smiled at her comment at the end. She was so nice. 

"You too." I replied, stretching my arms and letting out a yawn as well. Just before she closed the window, I remembered something. "Wait!" I said urgently. She stopped closing the window and looked to me expectantly. "What's your name?" I asked, somewhat shyly. 

"Oh, it's Evelyn. I forgot to introduce myself." She said. 

"I'm Oliver." I smiled. Her name suited her.

Evelyn looked to the ground, before looking back to me. "Well, goodnight Olli."

I didn't get a chance to react to the nickname she had just given me, because she had already closed her window - and her curtains too. I chuckled. Olli wasn't that bad of a nickname anyway. I followed suit, closing my window, and drawing the curtain. I checked the time out of curiosity.

Three in the morning! I stayed up talking to her until three in the morning! I was going to be tired tomorrow; but it was worth it.