Chapter 12 - Peaceful Sleep

Oliver's POV

Saturday

The day had gone stunningly well. After breakfast and a few presents at IHOP, we had gone ice skating, walked around the mall, gotten lunch at the Chinese takeout, and just gone where ever Evelyn wanted to go. 

I was elated with how giving her the bracelet had gone down. 

By her reaction, she had rose a small hope in me, that maybe she did like me back. Even just a little. The thought excited me so much that I started getting ahead of myself; thinking about her lips again. I sent the thought away to the back of my mind, so it wouldn't distract me to much. 

By now we had just gotten back to Evelyn's house. I would be staying over; surprisingly enough it was her dad who had come up with that idea. I'd thought he would never let me stay over - let alone in her room - but that was what he had said. He invited Lee and Nicholls to stay too, but they had to go home after lunch.

I knew that meant Marilyn trusted me a lot. I could only hope his image of me wouldn't be shattered if I made a move. 

All the kids were out trick or treating by now, but not many approached either of our houses. I had a feeling Evelyn's house was the house parents warned their children to stay away from, and other kids dared each other to go up to. Nevertheless, we did get a few coming to the door. 

While Marilyn and Evelyn were dealing with the kids; giving them candy and such; I was in the kitchen. 

Not cooking, of course. 

I had brought Evelyn's favorite cheesecake, and then taken it to the bakers to get them to make it look better. They added another layer and wrote 'Happy Birthday Evelyn' in swirly lettering. I was just putting some candles on the cake when Marilyn walked in. 

He leant against the counter, as if he were thinking of something to say. We stood in silence for a minute as I tried to light the candles with with my shitty lighter. "Thanks." He started. "For today, and planning all of this for her."

"It was nothing." I said quietly. 

"It was something. You really like her, don't you?" He pressed the question on me. 

With unsteady hands I put down the lighter. "Yes... Yes I do." I said quietly. I was embarrassed to admit that to her father, but I didn't want to lie. "Don't tell her that." I added hastily. "Please."

"I won't." He chuckled, before returning to his serious demeanor. "I think she likes you too. And I can't think of anyone better for her." He said, as he patted my shoulder briefly. He started to walk away, leaving me hanging, and then he was gone. 

I think she likes you too. 

Likes you too. 

She likes you.

My head exploded, as if I had been stuck at the verse, and now I had suddenly burst into the chorus. What did he mean? In what way did he think she liked me? Did he really trust me with his daughter? He had said after all; 'I can't think of anyone better for her.' Surely he meant that as more than a best friend.