Legolas Greenleaf

You followed Haldir's group, inching closer to the blond elf of the group you were tracking in the woods as you told yourself you weren't going to hope. Never again. He is part of your past and will stay there. You made sure Haldir couldn't see you as you took position, ready to step out along with his elves. You listened as a dwarf spun tales of the Lady to small children, fear evident in their eyes.

Before the dwarf could speak ill of your Queen any further, Haldir stepped forward, tens of bows raised, drawing their arrows. You fell into step with them, pointing yours at the lone elf of the group, your heart skipping as his eyes raked over you, he too drawing his bow in defense. You blinked, inwardly thanking yourself for wearing your hood and mask this time.

You missed what Haldir said to them, keeping your gaze on the blond elf before you, his blue eyes bright with calculating glances around him. You stayed in the shadows of the woods as Haldir lead them to his checkpoint station, knowing he would want to talk to them.

The area grew dark as the trees grew thicker, casting a green/blue hue on everything. But you weren't as stealthy as you thought you were. Just as some of the travelers had sat down to rest for a moment you heard your name be called.

"(Y/n). Step out. I will speak with you in a moment." Haldir's elvish voice was unmistakable. You let out a childish groan and stepped into the light of the light, making sure to look only at Haldir. 

You winced as you heard your name come from his lips. "(Y/n)?"

Legolas just stared at you as you refused to look at him. Aragorn left to speak to Haldir, leaving him with you, your face turned away from him like you used to do when the two of you were younger and in a disagreement.

Legolas stepped closer, reaching out as if to make sure you were real. It had been years since he last saw you. And you didn't leave on the best of terms. You felt his presence come closer and you sucked in a breath.

"Please Legolas, I don't want to do this." Your voice was low and almost inaudible. Legolas stepped closer and gently turned you to look at him, his brow furrowed in worry and sorrow.

"Do what exactly? I have not seen you in years and you appear here. Are you well? Did you accomplish what you left to do?"

Pang hit your heart at the sincerity in his voice and the mention of your first reason for leaving. You shook your head, refusing to look at him. "No. I did not. I was otherwise, preoccupied. So I have made it my job to dispose of the dark forces in here in my own way. Alone."

Legolas' heart lurched. Alone? He could see that Haldir was not happy to see you. Perhaps you were excited. Like he was.

"Are you not happy then?"

There he goes, caring about your happiness when you clearly want him to hate you. Tears threatened to fall. Maybe it was time to find out why he didn't ask you, beg you to stay with him. You took a fortifying breath and looked up at him, your breath getting caught in your throat. His blue eyes stared at you, ever kind and ever loving.

"How can one be happy when her happiness shunned her for his own selfish adventures?" There. You said it.

Legolas' eye grew wide and his hand dropped from your shoulders. He took a moment to collect his thoughts before he took a tentative step forward, taking your hands in his. You held your breath as you waited for his response, a tear escaping.

"Forgive me. I feared that was why you left. Believe me when I say a day did not end without my mind turning to you. I can not tell you or give you an excuse as to why I did not as you to stay but know that I regretted my actions or lack thereof from the moment you left."

Now tears fell freely, your hands squeezing his. "I was so alone. Later exiled and left to roam needlessly." You sniff and lean forward, yearning for his warmth. "Please do not leave me to myself a second time."

Without a second thought, Legolas collected you into his arms, holding you to him in a secure and warm embrace as you clung to him. He buried his face in your shoulder, kissing it lightly then whispered into your hair.

"Come with us. I dare not be parted from you yet again. Not if I can help it."