Dates Or Mates?

Jake’s POV:

After telling Timmy all I knew about whisperers, he started mindlessly starting into space. About thirty seconds after he began mumbling something to thin air. I had concluded that he finally lost it, but as I took a closer look at him, trying to not look suspicious of eavesdropping, which was exactly what I was doing. However, I couldn’t hear a word he was saying.

When I actually bothered looking up at him, he was frowning and seemed to be in deep thought. He looked angry, like when he saw his brother walking up to him kind of angry, this time though, he didn’t storm away. He did squirm a little though. He crossed his arms as if in a disagreement with someone in front of him, and without a warning, his eyes lit up and he looked like the happiest man alive.

“Oh, my God, Your finally dead!” he did a little happy dance which consisted of a few summersaults, 3 flips and shaking his hips furiously. He was happy, because someone was dead. Why, remained a mystery to me.

He came to an abrupt stop, and his eyes literally popped out of its sockets. “So, let me get this straight, you, Bruce Johnson, leader of all whisperers, strongest whisperer in existence, not only physically, but mentally as well… got killed by a four year old? And you want ME, your son, who you disowned and let your wife, who may I add, is not my mother, and my half-brothers, beat me up to the core, and threw me in care, avenge your death? You’re having a laugh right? Are you mad?”

Pause.

“You’re mad,” and with that conclusion, he walked away, into the bushes, I was sitting there stunned, and only 5 minutes later did I recover, he was still behind the bush, and I still felt his energy on the other side of the bush.

“HEY! WHERE ARE YOU GOING?” I screamed from where I was sitting under the trunk of the tree.

His head popped out from behind the bushes and he smirked at me with a mischievous glint in his eyes.

“I need to meet someone, a small visit, but you, have a date with a certain human being called Sheila, am I wrong?” I numbly shook my head and he walked off without looking back. How did he know about Sheila?

3 seconds later my unspoken question was answered by a faint rustling in the bushes. I paused making sure I heard right… yeah, definitely a rustling. Maybe it’s a squirrel? I didn’t think much of it… but now I wish I had, at least I could have had more time to run!

A pink all-star stuck out of the bush, followed by another. I slowly looked all the way up, she was wearing white skinny jeans with a black heart and arrow drawn down the leg, there was a falling rose, and doomed love written with black biro. It was beautiful, I didn’t realise she drew so beautifully. She had a loose top and had a tomboyish hairdo. It was all bunched to one side and she had light eyeliner on.

She was beautiful. I didn’t realise I was shamelessly staring at her with my mouth hanging open until she giggled, it sounded better than music, and walked up to me, bent down and shut my mouth for me. I stood up, and looked right into her eyes, which were a greenish grey; I had to bend down a little for me to be level with her gaze and whispered, “I think I’m in love”.

He face suddenly burned up, and her heart was beating so hard against her chest I thought it was going to break out. My genius plan was to hug her tightly against my chest, at least then I knew her heart wasn’t going to break out of her chest. I distinctly remembered travellers telling me that every super natural creature had a really strong bond with their mate. Even then when I was about 7 I knew they didn’t mean friend.

“I think you’re my mate” we both stated at the same time in unison. I was confused; she was definitely not a whisperer. Then what was she?

“I’m a wolf… what are you?”

“Whisperer,” she gasped and went down on her knees.

“I apologise,” she whimpered, “I didn’t know”

I was confused, why was she on her knees, and why is she apologising? Then I realised something and got seriously angry because she went on her knees.

“WHAT ARE YOU DOING? Those are white! Do you have any idea how hard it will be to wash that off?” she looked up from her position and smirked widely at me.

“Sorry mother” she scoffed, her eyes went wide as she realised what she had done and bent her head low again. She started sniffing and saying she was sorry again, and I quickly helped her up.

“What are you doing?” I asked softly. If she was my mate, I couldn’t have her bowing to me, she was my other half, therefore my equal.

She was still looking down and I gently raised her chin to meet my worried gaze. Her face was tear-stained and silent tears were running down her beautiful rosy cheeks. Eyeliner was running down her face in thin lines, and somehow, she still managed to look beautiful.

“Whisperers are higher than measly werewolves, we have to respect them, and I am sorry, you were sitting down while I was standing up, I touched you without your permission and I shouldn’t have spoken to you with-”

“Hush, it’s alright, I don’t mind, your my mate… it ‘aint your fault kay? It’s not as if you plunged a dagger into my heart or anything”

“I disrespected you.” She said simply.

Why does she have to respect me? “Werewolves are majestic creatures, I find them highly fascinating and real awesome” I said with a grin. Then I remembered something.

“How come I didn’t realise you were my mate when we first met?” she looked down at her feet, and she seemed extremely guilty for some reason, but she didn’t get to tell me anything because right at that second, a huge puppy wolf came bounding at her, and knocked her right onto the floor. He was trying to bite her neck and she was giggling hysterically, I was going to go to her aid, when the wolf turned into a human, and looked exactly like Sheila, except his hair was up to his shoulder and was white blond.

He grinned childishly at Sheila, but that have her enough time to lunge at him. He fell flat on his back, with her on top of him, and she was slapping the bejesus out of him. I thought about helping him, but she looked way too scary.

“Jake, I want you to meet my little brother, Nate, aka Da Man. He is future alpha of our pack.”

I looked down at the kid she called brother and he looked up at me. He was cute. He gave me a huge toothless grin and sent me a message telepathically.

‘I know you can hear me, I know who you are, JAKE! You’re the women that was meant to kill Nat. back off or I will rip your head off, and send you to exile! She is MY mate, you hear!’

He gave that whole speech, but his cute façade did not waver. He still had that grin on his face, and it actually looked genuine. That was what I called scary.

“I better get you home, kiddo. Mum won’t be too happy once he finds you missing”.

“Hey, shy?” she turned to look at me, and all I wanted to do was kiss her all over her face, but I couldn’t.

“How comes he didn’t bow?”

“Cuz he’s next in line for alpha, alphas and whisperers aren’t too far away, even if whisperers are more powerful, a true alpha would never bow to anyone.” And on that note, she walked off.

Only then did I register what the kid said. He was Nat’s mate? Not that, but Nat had a mate, an alpha? I wasn’t actually going to kill her, but even if I was, that just made my job literally impossible.