never do that

The next morning Alex made a point of to wait up for his son at breakfast.  Normally at this time of the day Rudi would be giving him a run down of the previous day; actually just the late afternoon and the evening report.  Today however he had more important matters to take care of.  Somehow, he had to get inside his son’s mind.

Alex was just winding his arms around Cassy’s waist when the kids started running down the steps.  Sean was holding onto Rebeccah and Audrey as he jumped down the steps one by one.  Tyler followed behind with Ellie in his arms, making sure to step carefully on his way down.

While he was showering that morning, Alex had thought about how to approach Tyler.  He had spoken to him about the ‘birds and the bees’ before when Tyler had asked about how Ellie ended up in his mommy’s tummy.  His son’s reaction at that time had made him smile.

Tyler had been dismayed.  “Gross!”  He had stared up at his father with wide eyes.  “I will never do that to my mate.”  He had declared loudly as Alex did his best to keep from laughing.

Tyler came into view, his face locked on Ellie as she tried to grab hold of his hair.  He only mumbled a mangled ‘morning’ as he put Ellie in her chair.  As if he could feel his father’s eyes on him, he looked up at Alex and shook his head slightly; disapprovingly.  Alex nearly choked on his coffee.  Tyler definitely knew what he and Cassy had been up to last night.  Before he could decide on a course of action, Rudi came over to give him some urgent news and the two of them took off.  During the rest of the day he found his mind wandering off as he tried to think of the best way to deal with his son.  By the time he got home late that night, the house was dark and quiet.  Carefully he helped himself to some dinner Cassy left him and then he silently crept up the stairs.

“Dad.”  The soft word was spoken before he could open his bedroom door.

“Yes Tyler?”  He asked just as quietly as he turned towards his son.

“Don’t worry about me, OK?”

Alex nearly stumbled and stuck his hand out to lean against the wall.  Taking a deep breath, he turned and walked to where Tyler was standing in the door of his own room.  Scooping Tyler up with both arms, he walked over to the bed and tucked his son in under the blanket.  Then he used the same words he used on Cassy the night before.  “It is my job to worry about you.  And Rebeccah, Audrey, Sean, Ellie and your mom.”

Big round eyes stared up at him, searching for something.  Then Tyler gave a half smile as he sighed.  “Just don’t worry too much.  I am not worried; so you shouldn’t be either.”

Alex ruffled the hair until it was a mess on the white pillow.  “I’ll try.  Alright?”

Tyler nodded his head as he yawned.  “Kay.”

Before he stood up he kissed Tyler’s forehead; then he quietly walked out of the room and pulled the door shut behind him.

Slipping into his bed, he felt as Cassy turned towards him without waking, and snuggle up against him.  Kissing her softly on his head he took a deep breath; he was so very, very lucky to have such a wonderful woman and kids in his life.  He felt his body relax as his mate’s presence soothed him, and deciding that Tyler was right about not worrying too much, he closed his eyes and slept.

Life at the Yellow Stone Pack carried on in much the normal way, considering that life for weres could never be really ‘normal’.  People went to work, kids went to school, and patrols were run around the perimeter and within.  Three teenagers had their first shift, one girl and two boys.