crazy-weird

Quinn was stunned as he watched Abigail’s dad storm out from behind the desk he was sitting behind while he kept his eyes on their hands holding onto each other.

“This is not supposed to be how things worked out.  You were supposed to meet a nice boy with an adventurous streak that I could train to take over from me.  Not this …” he waved his hand between the two of them before marching up to stand right in front of Abigail.  “How serious is this?”

Quinn felt like bursting with pride when she pulled her shoulders up and looked her father squarely in the eyes.

“He is my boyfriend Daddy and I would really like to see where this could go.”

Quinn squeezed her hand and smiled at her encouragingly.  She might not be committing to anything yet; but he was immensely grateful that she was still prepared to give him an opportunity to prove to her that he would be there for the long haul.

Abigail’s mom watched her husband as he paced the floor while he quietly muttered to himself.  This was a huge surprise that neither one of them would ever have thought possible and she was waiting for him to go berserk at any moment now.

“My daughter is not a toy to while your time away on young man.”

Quinn was unable to stop the low growl from building up within him at the harsh and adamant tone in the older man’s voice.  It was only the slight increase to the gentle pressure from her hand that kept him from exploding.  He took a deep calming breath before he spoke.  “I would never treat her with any kind of disrespect Sir.  Never!”

Turning away from Quinn as if he had not spoken he faced his daughter again.  “Abby, do you really want to get involved with this … this …” He forced a frustrated huff out as if he could not find a word vile enough to describe Quinn.

“Dad!”  Abigail felt like screaming out in frustration.  What was wrong with her father?  He had met all the other so called boyfriends before and he had never behaved so rudely before.  At least not what she knew about.  Her previous so-called boyfriends had always been very politely shown out the door by an extremely cordial father after they had a little ‘chat’.  So what was the matter with him right now?  When she saw he was still waiting for her speak up, she became slightly irritated with him.  “I really like Quinn dad, a lot; and you had better not mess around this time.”

“Abigail; I would not have ‘messed around’ with those silly boys if they had been half as serious about you as you were about them.”

Hearing those words had anger flash up inside Quinn and he had to bite back a growl at the thought of her being even remotely serious with someone else.  He decided that he should rather concentrate on the fact that she had never interceded for any of the previous boys before; yet here she was: arguing with her father about him.  Flashing a brilliant smile at her he squeezed her hand slightly to show his appreciation.

Abigail’s father saw the small exchange and deflated.  With his anger gone only concern for his little girl was etched in the lines on his face.  He gathered his thoughts as he walked to sit behind his desk, the reports he was working on completely forgotten.

‘This is weird.’  Quinn thought as he watched the man as he sat down.  He got the feeling that Abigail’s dad would bang his head on the table any moment now.  Instead, he just sighed deeply and closed his eyes for a minute.  When he opened them his eyes zoomed in on Quinn.

“Is she your mate?”

As shock flashed through him like lightning, he heard Abigail gasp loudly.  Passing her hand from his one hand to the other, he drew her closer to his body with a hand that was still warm from holding onto her.  Being so attuned to her the sound of her heart beating rapidly worried him.  When after a while of watching her not taking a single breath, he bent down to place his lips close to her ear.  “Honey; come on, breathe for me.”  After one deep breath her heart rate slowed down and he could feel her taking slow breaths to help calm herself.