try to keep up

Tyler had asked her to see if she could find the scent of one of the patrols and to follow it until she had run a full perimeter; so she struck out straight towards the boundary line ignoring any other scents of wolves merely going for a run.  Besides, the perimeter run should be thick with the scent of her fellow pack members.  She stumbled past a strong scented trail that was well within their borders and she slowed down uncertainly.  As far as she knew Alex had only two trails set up for the perimeter runs; so this should be the first.

[Which trail are we taking; the inner or the outer run?]

[The inner run is best for now as the outer run is rather long and can be pretty tedious if you have to run the whole one.  That is why our fathers decided to split the outer run into three groups that overlap by a mile and the inner run is done by two teams also with a mile overlap.  Are you tired; or do you think we can see how fast you can go while keeping your nose in the trail?]

Mandy huffed at him and it came out as a very wolf-like snort.  [Please try to keep up Ty!]

With that she shot off to the left, surprising him be tackling the run anti-clockwise in stead of the usual clockwise he was used to.  Chuckling to himself he did a quick turn about and set off after her trying very hard to suppress his natural instinct to run her down and force her to submit to him.  Because he now basically had two sets of instincts running simultaneously; he could allow the more basic and animal part of him to navigate his way through the forest while another part of him could watch her.  And watching her certainly was going to be the highlight of his day.

Tyler felt pleased that his initial assessment of her was correct in that her slightly thicker than usual legs – for a female wolf that is – still allowed her to set a pretty grueling pace.  Closing the gap some more she instinctively increased her pace; easily keeping her lead and increasing it again.  Grinning internally, he matched her pace and took the time to notice that she always managed to stay more or less in the centre of the trail.  He was pleased that she had been able to make a smooth transition as far as her senses were concerned.  Sometimes new wolves had a bit of a struggle with the sensory overload and it took them a few days to settle into their fur as it were.  Mandy had gone through it like a pro; and he couldn’t be prouder of her.

[Enough running for now squirt, let’s try something else; OK?]

[Struggling to keep up are you?]

There was more play in her voice than seriousness, and Tyler let the comment pass without reacting on it.  When he reached her where she had stopped, he sank down and wormed his furry body into the cool grass under the tree and after only a short hesitation, Mandy joined him.

[Everything feels different.  It looks different, smells different and it even feels different.]

[Yes.]  Tyler agreed as he stuck his neck out and allowed the wind to ruffle the thick, almost mane like hair in his neck.  [You will notice that most of your senses will not go back to quite human the more you shift.  I think it makes the change easier on shifters when the difference from on to the other is not that big.]

She did not reply.  She did not have to.  At the moment no words were needed.  They were both happy and content to just be together for now.

[Is this only the second time you changed?]  He asked her after a long while.

[Actually, no.  I went to sleep in my wolf form last night.]

[Weren’t you hot?!]

It took her a while to reply and by then Tyler was more than interested in what she had to say.

[Mandy?]

Huffing as she loudly expelled the air in her lungs, she almost deflated.  [Must have been; I woke up lying on top of my bed, naked.]