She was mad alright

Alex had to fight back a burst of hysterical laughter.  He so did not want to sound like a girl right now!  He stared at his son and for the umpteenth time wondered how they were going to handle this.  Sighing he decided the best way to do that was to learn more about this … whatever it was that Tyler could do.  And at the moment he was their resident expert.  Nothing better than getting it straight from the horse’s mouth was there?

“I guess the best I can do to help … me” Alex referred to himself as a question with a shrug, “understand all this is for you to tell me more about this ‘hearing’ people.”  When Tyler nodded he smiled at him crookedly.  “I think I would like to know when this all started, can you tell me?”

Tyler sat up straight and scrunched his forehead; much like he did when he was trying to figure out his homework.  “I think I could always hear Rebeccah and Audrey.  I can not remember not hearing them.  Ever.”  He looked at his father and when Alex nodded, he carried on.  “And I think it was the same with Ricky.  I can’t really remember that so well, you know; back then?”

Alex chuckled softly.  “Neither can I.”

Tyler accepted the assurance and carried on with his explanation.  “What I can remember was that I could hear other …” He looked at his dad nervously and immediately Alex reached out and put his hand on the small shoulder.

“Try and explain as best you can.  Tell me what you think and feel; if you think later that it is not quite right, we can always talk about it again, OK?”

Tyler smiled, grateful that his dad was so understanding.  He had been so worried about what his father and mother would think and say about what he could do.  Now he was just glad that he had someone he could talk to about all of this without them being mad at him.

“It’s not like I hear their voices, like you do, I think I just hear them.”

“OK, let’s figure this out together then.  If you don’t hear their voices, do you think you hear their minds?  Or what they are feeling?”

“I think it’s more than that dad.  When I hear them, I know if they are happy, I know if they are feeling well, and if I can put two or more people together like with mom just now, I can tell what they are doing.”

“You can tell if they are not feeling well?  How?”  Alex was just a bit surprised.  Werewolves did not usually not feel well.  They had iron constitutions after all.

“Yes; like when mommy was not feeling well when she had Ellie in her tummy; she felt all weird for a short while.”

“Hmm, perhaps it would be better if you told me what you hear when you hear mommy.”

Tyler smiled brightly.  “She sounds like a waterfall.”  His face shone with eagerness as he tried to explain what one of his favorite sounds sounded like.  “Mostly I hear the water falling down like it is a nice, friendly and small waterfall.”  He threw his dad a quick look as he tried to keep a straight face.  “When she is like very, very cross, she sounds like that giant waterfall … you know, like the one in that old superman movie?”

Alex tried to cover his laughter by coughing, but he soon saw that Tyler did not buy it at all.  “I can imagine.”  He said dryly.  Then he wondered; did he ever make her that mad?  “Does she get that cross like that with me?”

Tyler burst out laughing and after he had dried his eyes his shoulders were still shaking.  “No, mom doesn’t get that mad at you.  I actually only heard her like that once.  It was just after Uncle Ethan and Lucy left for good.”

Wincing Alex thought back at that time.  Ethan had been one of the last groups of newly appointed alphas to take charge of their new packs and to start fixing up the neglected pack grounds that had been assigned by the council.  The first few rounds of newbie’s had been given the grounds that were in a better condition than the others in the hope of them being able to salvage more that way.  Alex agreed with them.  There was no reason for those pack grounds to be allowed to deteriorate even further if they could be brought back to their original state with less work and less resources.  It had made perfect sense.