Drama?

Henry smiled gently at his daughter; heavens, he was so proud of her. "Abby, the only reason we didn't tell you anything was that it was not time to share our secret. Werewolves are able to exist today with relative ease because people like us make sure the strictly human population of this world never find out about them. Our 'group'," he winced slightly as he said the word, "decided a very long time ago that the children born to us are only told about us and the shifters after they had completed their education. Mostly they were informed once they matriculated; but sometimes, after careful consideration and a lot of discussion with a whole lot of people, the young people were only told after they had done what they had wanted to after their school career. If they qualified for some or other sport or educational program, we would delay disclosing our family business to them in order for them to achieve personal goals."

Thinking about what her father just told her Abigail slumped into her seat. Was there always going to this much secrets and drama in her life? The first time Mandy told her about werewolves she could hardly contain her excitement at being part of that world; even if only at the fringes. This morning Quinn tells her that she is his mate and now her parents have yet more secrets they are keeping from her. Frowning again as she struggled to understand, she spoke again. "And then after my graduation you would just drag me into this secret group of yours; without any preparation or knowledge?"

This time Henry could not hide his proud smile and Abigail unwillingly smiled back. "Not entirely unprepared my dear. If you were to join our little 'secret group' today, you could outperform at least half of the current active members. And I am talking about those in the field; not the ones performing office duties or in the various other 'human' jobs to assist us with keeping both our and the shifter communities from becoming public knowledge."

"Really?" Quinn asked as he eyed his mate speculatively. In what way would she be able to outperform the others Henry spoke about?

"Yes daddy; really. I would really like to know in exactly what way that would be possible?"

Henry had the cheek to laugh out loud. "Oh Abby; what do we do during our vacations?"

Abigail frowned. "We go camping."

"Yes." Henry nodded in confirmation. "And what do we do during those camping trips?"

"Lott of stuff." Sitting back Abigail though about all the activities that usually took place during their family camping trips. "We camp." She started off uncertainly.

"That we do." Henry agreed with her. "But we do not take anything with us. Except for knives, some clean clothes and the minimum amount of bedding. We make our own shelter; we catch our own food either by making our own traps or occasionally using a bow. You learnt how to survive out there without anything but a knife. You can do that without clean clothes and bedding if you needed to."

Sitting up straight Quinn interrupted Henry's explanation. "But what if she is stranded out in the woods right now; she would not always know to keep a knife handy." Quinn had hardly finished speaking when he felt the tip of a knife tickling the side of his neck. Abigail had moved so fast and unexpectedly that he had not even processed what had happened by the time she smiled at him wickedly. 'Wow! That is so hot!' he thought when Abigail removed the knife and put it back into a harness she was wearing around her waist under a loose fitting top.

"When I am not wearing pants, I usually wear it around my thigh."

The words so casually spoken caused a whirlwind of emotions in Quinn. How could he ever have thought that his mate was merely human? She was not a shifter, but there was so much more to her than he had ever imagined before. Briefly he wondered how inappropriate it would be to admit to Abigail just how much it turned him on knowing that she sometimes wore a knife on her thigh and he had to fight against the impulse to caress along her thigh.