Ever so clever

He felt numb.  Throughout most of the day he felt nothing from her.  There was however, nothing to keep him from feeling the worry her parents felt.  And that worried him, because as the day got older, their worried increased proportionally.  It was only late afternoon when she was utterly exhausted that she fell into a fitful sleep and the wall she built round her lowered.

Tyler sucked in his breath through his teeth sharply as he felt the feelings she was experiencing whiplash through him.  Mandy had never been this absolutely furious before, never.  But that was not the worst.  Her anger he could and was prepared to bear and face; but the pain and betrayal she felt tore him to shreds.

His mind struggled to surface through the intensity of her emotions and when he found himself, he was running to her.

Rudi heard the door slam open and left his daughter’s room to stop him.  Knowing he was physically unable to stop Tyler from going to her, he did the only thing he could do.  Not that he wanted to hurt Tyler, he just didn’t want to cause any further pain to his little baby girl.

“Tyler don’t!  She does not want to see you right now.”

Tyler scrubbed at his face with his hands.  “She is hurting Rudi,” he took a labored breath as he tried to calm down.  “I never wanted things to happen like this.”

“I know Tyler, I know.”  Rudi put his hand on Tyler’s shoulder and led him back to the kitchen.  “But right now, the best thing you can do is to give her some time to work through this; OK?”

“But I should …”

“You do not do anything until she is ready and willing to listen to you!”  Rudi said fiercely as he stuck his face so close to Tyler’s that they were almost touching.  Taking a firm reign on his control, he breathed deeply and relaxed back into his chair.  “If you tried seeing her now, you will only make things worse, you know that; right?”

Tyler slumped into his chair.  “But I did this!  I should fix it for her.”

“Well you can’t.  Not yet.  Give her some time to come to grips with things.  Dinah thinks that she might be acting so irrationally because of all the hormones messing with her as well.”

Tyler snorted at that, and that made him smile when he thought of what Mandy would have to say about her mother thinking she was ‘hormonal’.  She had hysterics when her older sisters went through that and they were all ‘way out of control’ as Mandy used to put it.

“Mandy would hate that.”  He said with a slight smile.  The smile on his face faded when he heard Mandy starting to wake up again.

“Can I come over tomorrow morning?”  His eyes nervously flickered to the passage leading to the inside of the house as he got up to leave.

“That would probably be best.”  Rudi agreed as he stood up and walked with Tyler to the door.

Before Tyler reached to door, he felt Mandy waken up properly as a gut wrenching pain shot through her.  Clenching his teeth together he spoke to Rudi.  “Go to her!”

It took everything Tyler had not to rush into her room and take her in his arms and to never let her go again.  But he forced his feet to keep on moving, and by the time he reached his home, Mandy had built up the wall against him all over again and he could feel nothing from her at all.

Tyler decided he would rather feel her pain than not feel anything from her.  It felt too much like she was cutting him out of her life when she did that; hell, he did not even know she could do that.  Or maybe that was something she had been able to do all along but never felt the need to do?